Jul 4, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat comes word that Cubs starter Ryan Dempster threw an intensive bullpen session Wednesday afternoon at Atlanta’s Turner Field and could return to the Chicago starting rotation on Sunday in New York if he experiences no lingering soreness in the aftermath of the workout.
Dempster was placed on the disabled list June 16 with tightness in his right latissimus dorsi muscle.
The 35-year-old has registered a superb 2.11 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and 66/22 K/BB ratio in 81 innings this season. He’ll be one of the Cubs’ better trade chips as the July 31 non-waiver deadline approaches.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)