Jul 4, 2012, 7:29 PM EST
From MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat comes word that Cubs starter Ryan Dempster threw an intensive bullpen session Wednesday afternoon at Atlanta’s Turner Field and could return to the Chicago starting rotation on Sunday in New York if he experiences no lingering soreness in the aftermath of the workout.
Dempster was placed on the disabled list June 16 with tightness in his right latissimus dorsi muscle.
The 35-year-old has registered a superb 2.11 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and 66/22 K/BB ratio in 81 innings this season. He’ll be one of the Cubs’ better trade chips as the July 31 non-waiver deadline approaches.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)