Jul 4, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Darnell McDonald will be staying in the AL East after being designated for assignment by the Red Sox, as the Yankees claimed the 33-year-old outfielder off waivers.
McDonald had a solid season in 2010 when pressed into unexpectedly regular action for the Red Sox, but has hit just .228 with a .695 OPS in 117 games since then and is little more than a reserve outfielder.
He’s unlikely to stick around if/when Brett Gardner comes off the disabled list, but could draw some starts versus left-handed pitching in the meantime.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)