Jul 4, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Darnell McDonald will be staying in the AL East after being designated for assignment by the Red Sox, as the Yankees claimed the 33-year-old outfielder off waivers.
McDonald had a solid season in 2010 when pressed into unexpectedly regular action for the Red Sox, but has hit just .228 with a .695 OPS in 117 games since then and is little more than a reserve outfielder.
He’s unlikely to stick around if/when Brett Gardner comes off the disabled list, but could draw some starts versus left-handed pitching in the meantime.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)