Jul 5, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
A.J. Pierzynski has a reputation as a clubhouse cancer. That’s not just some broad opinion. One of his teammates on the San Francisco Giants actually called him a cancer back in 2004. Apart from that, he’s always at the top of “most hated” lists and stuff. But Pierzynski wants to set the record straight:
“Basically one guy came out and said that.”
I brought up Brett Tomko, the Giants pitcher who has long been associated with throwing Pierzynski under the bus.
“Well, he says he didn’t,” Pierzynski said. “But I know Matt Herges, he said some things, some other guys said some things…you know, they have their right, and one of the things I was accused of was getting the other team signs. Anyone that knows me, I would never in a million years give the other team, tell the other team what’s coming.
Well, the sign thing is just a narrow part of it. Pierzynski has a longstanding reputation, even among guys who sorta like him, that he’s kind of a jerk. Oh well. At least he tends to own it. He’s not under any delusions that he’s loved.
I think the most interesting part of the story is that Hawk Harrelson basically lobbied Kenny Williams to sign Pierzynski. So you have him to thank or blame, depending on your point of view.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 6
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 12
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 25
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)