Jul 5, 2012, 11:12 PM EDT
This shouldn’t come as a big surprise, but Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Jamie Moyer has been given his release by the Blue Jays.
Moyer signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays late last month while the team was dealing with a string of injuries to their starting rotation. However, the 49-year-old southpaw was knocked around for 10 runs on 17 hits (including three homers) over 11 innings in two starts with Triple-A Las Vegas. He was only promised two starts in the minors and the Blue Jays have understandably determined that he wouldn’t be a good option at the major league level.
Moyer deserves a lot of credit for returning from Tommy John surgery to become the oldest pitcher ever to win a game earlier this year as a member of the Rockies, but this may finally be the end of the road for him.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 52
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (86)