Bryce Harper wants to be an EMT

Jul 5, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT

Bryce Harper Getty Images

Bryce Harper signed a $9.9 million deal when he was drafted, so unless he invests in night clubs, record labels and large entourages, he’s probably not gonna need a second job one day.  But if he does work in another field, he knows which one it will be:

If you weren’t playing ball, what would you be doing?

Bryce: I’d probably be a firefighter. Ever since I was growing up, I wanted to be a firefighter or a baseball player. Going into the offseason, I’m going to get my EMT and do the firefighting thing so I have something to fall back on.

Coincidence has it that I am writing today from a spare office at a university department that trains EMTs.  Think I’m gonna ask how a November-January EMT training program would go for him and how well-received the rich ballplayer would be in the classes.

Oh, and remember this?

(link via Deadspin)

1. Will Yoder - Jul 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM

In an article I read no more than two weeks ago he said he wanted to be a Journalist if he wasn’t a baseball player. Typical 19-year-old, constantly changing majors.

2. nategearhart - Jul 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I can’t wait to see what the old fart who keeps popping up in these threads to call Harper a “disrespectful snot-nosed punk” does to spin this. I wish I could remember his handle.

• micker716 - Jul 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I would never refer to Bryce as “snot-nosed”.

3. ccmf69 - Jul 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Good…I hope he starts today…Go Giants:)

4. dowhatifeellike - Jul 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM

That’s a clown stab wound, bro.

• ajcardsfan - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I read that and immediately thought of Harper being a medic in a modern day remake of Stephen King’s IT

• sabatimus - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

There’s no down-thumbs yet on this comment, so it’s official: the Harper jokes have NOT gotten old after the 2 weeks Craig hypothesized :D

5. js20011041 - Jul 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Being a firefighter is a wonderful career, but despite what a certain side of the political spectrum might tell you, it’s not a profession in which you become wealthy. For his sake, and all baseball fans for that matter, it would be a shame to see him need another career to fall back on before his time is done. But if he were to put forth the same effort towards that career that he does playing the game, he would do just fine.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

A friend of mine makes $80,000.00 a year being a Firefighter (AND RIGHTFULLY SO).
      Will it make you wealthy? Not sure about that. But very comfortable nonethless.

• js20011041 - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It all depends on the cost of living in that area as well. $80,000 is a lot of money if you live in rural Texas or Idaho. It’s not so much if you live in California or New York. Firefighters and Police Officers get a lot of grief for the money they make, but what’s usually the case is that there will be a story about a fire chief or some upper level person that makes a six figure salary, which (sarcasm alert) logically means that all public workers are overpaid.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Please don’t missunderstand me JS. I fully appreciate it is relative to where you live.
      In Indiana…$80,000.00 a year makes for a nice living. Once again…a well deserved living.
      I was just trying to point out that (while you might not be incredibly wealthy)…you don’t have one foot in the free cheese line either.

• js20011041 - Jul 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I understand that. But, I just want everyone to understand that there is a world of difference between living comfortably and being wealthy, and it varies department to department. I don’t know the specifics involving your friend, so I can’t comment on that.
        I won’t disclose how much I make, but it’s not $80,000. I make enough to pay the bills and put a small amount away. Sorry for taking this thread off topic, but it just irks me to have an entire country of public servants publicly dragged through the mud by our loyal politicians for something that isn’t even true.

6. heyblueyoustink - Jul 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Oh Bryce Harper, how they’ll sing songs of your glory!

Maybe next he’ll unveil his plan for world peace.

7. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

It’s a fun job. Yesterdays heatwave and holiday activities had us busy as hell. Harper, bad haircut in my opinion aside, is proving to not be the punk everyone wanted him to be.

8. ptfu - Jul 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Firefighting is extremely dangerous and there’s no way the Nationals will let him be one. It’s got to be on the standard list of prohibited activities, right? Now, TRAINING to become a firefighter or EMT might not be too bad. Until his baseball career’s over, he’ll have to save kids from non-burning orphanages only.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

They probably wouldn’t want him firefighting but he could certainly be an EMT-Basic/Paramedic without putting his career at too much risk. Lot of back injuries involved with being an EMT due to picking up patients though. Probably not worth the risk for him at this point in his career.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Back when I was MrMonkeyArmy, I dabbled in the EMT field for a few years. Let me tell you, there is inherent danger involved. I’ve had people come at me on numerous occasions. As something of an aside, if somebody is over dosing on heroin and you give them Narcan, they wake up like the fucking Incredible Hulk…doesn’t matter how small they are.

• sabatimus - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

In my city, they send an ambulance and a wagon, fire or not, to every accident where there’s an injury that requires lifting the victim–EMTs aren’t allowed to lift more than a certain poundage, whereas firefighters are. I’m sure that ordinance is not common though.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I worked in a relatively small town….though it was a medium sized university town. They use to send police and fire to every call. There was always ample help for a big person.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Yes there’s certainly danger on calls which you always need to be aware of your surroundings but a back injury is more likely.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

That is why you bend at the knees. Proper lifting technique can really help mitigate the dangers of lifting with your back.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m fully aware of how to properly lift but some situations do not put you in an ideal position to do so but if you want to keep acting like I don’t know what I’m talking about go ahead.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I was just having a little fun with you on the last “bending at the knees” comment. Hope you didn’t take offense. My apologies if you did.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I took it the wrong way Dr. My apologies.

9. rooney24 - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM

If Bryce wants to do that, more power to him. I don’t know that he will really ever have to worry too much about “something to fall back on”. At least not for the money. When his playing days are over, he may need something just to have something to do. But, as to his answers changing, I am guessing it is more a case of getting tired of the same old questions and the same old answers, so he might answer it differently every time. That would be kind of funny actually if he started answering cowboy, doctor, short order cook, dog walker,……..

10. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

He should become a barber and give himself a real haircut.

11. jengibre23 - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The only way that kids gonna need some thing to fall back on is if he hurts himself

12. pghburgher - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Tell Bryce EMT’s have some people skills he will need to work on that!

13. dexterismyhero - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Firefighting and/or EMT’s is a real job bro.

Baseball is a clown job!!!

Just get paid much better for your entertaining of people.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3408)