Jul 5, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Earlier this week I wondered if the Cardinals might use Allen Craig at second base once Lance Berkman returns from knee surgery, but Berkman isn’t even back yet and manager Mike Matheny is doing something even more surprising.
Matt Carpenter is starting at second base tonight despite the fact that he’s never played the position as a professional. In fact, Carpenter told FOX Sports Midwest that he can’t remember playing second base since he was 13 years old.
Carpenter’s bat is also definitely worth getting into the lineup and while most of his big-league action has come as a first baseman or corner outfielder he does have tons of minor-league experience at third base. Still, it’ll be very interesting to say the least.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 51
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)