Jul 5, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
David Ortiz is having a fantastic season, though one frequently interrupted by complaints about some thing or another. The latest: he thought the Red Sox wanting to go year to year with him this past offseason rather than give him a two-year deal was humiliating, and he didn’t hesitate to tell USA Today about it:
“It was humiliating. There’s no reason a guy like me should go through that,” Ortiz said. “All I was looking for was two years, at the same salary [$12.5 million].
“They ended up giving me [$2.025 million] more than that , and look at my numbers this year. Tell me if they wouldn’t have been better off. And yet they don’t hesitate to sign other guys. It was embarrassing.”
Well, yes, in hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal will probably have been better than Ortiz’s $14.575 million he got this year plus whatever he’ll get for 2013. But it’s not like it was some snub by Boston. It’s pretty reasonable — always pretty reasonable — to assume a player of Ortiz’s age and skill set doesn’t have a full tank left. Eventually he’s gonna fall off a cliff.
He didn’t this year. Because of that, he’s going to get much more for 2012 and 2013 than he would have had he gotten the deal he wanted. A deal which, for some reason, I get the feeling Ortiz would be grumbling about being too big a bargain for the Sox had he signed it.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)