Jul 5, 2012, 9:10 AM EST
David Ortiz is having a fantastic season, though one frequently interrupted by complaints about some thing or another. The latest: he thought the Red Sox wanting to go year to year with him this past offseason rather than give him a two-year deal was humiliating, and he didn’t hesitate to tell USA Today about it:
“It was humiliating. There’s no reason a guy like me should go through that,” Ortiz said. “All I was looking for was two years, at the same salary [$12.5 million].
“They ended up giving me [$2.025 million] more than that , and look at my numbers this year. Tell me if they wouldn’t have been better off. And yet they don’t hesitate to sign other guys. It was embarrassing.”
Well, yes, in hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal will probably have been better than Ortiz’s $14.575 million he got this year plus whatever he’ll get for 2013. But it’s not like it was some snub by Boston. It’s pretty reasonable — always pretty reasonable — to assume a player of Ortiz’s age and skill set doesn’t have a full tank left. Eventually he’s gonna fall off a cliff.
He didn’t this year. Because of that, he’s going to get much more for 2012 and 2013 than he would have had he gotten the deal he wanted. A deal which, for some reason, I get the feeling Ortiz would be grumbling about being too big a bargain for the Sox had he signed it.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)