Jul 5, 2012, 9:10 AM EST
David Ortiz is having a fantastic season, though one frequently interrupted by complaints about some thing or another. The latest: he thought the Red Sox wanting to go year to year with him this past offseason rather than give him a two-year deal was humiliating, and he didn’t hesitate to tell USA Today about it:
“It was humiliating. There’s no reason a guy like me should go through that,” Ortiz said. “All I was looking for was two years, at the same salary [$12.5 million].
“They ended up giving me [$2.025 million] more than that , and look at my numbers this year. Tell me if they wouldn’t have been better off. And yet they don’t hesitate to sign other guys. It was embarrassing.”
Well, yes, in hindsight a two-year, $25 million deal will probably have been better than Ortiz’s $14.575 million he got this year plus whatever he’ll get for 2013. But it’s not like it was some snub by Boston. It’s pretty reasonable — always pretty reasonable — to assume a player of Ortiz’s age and skill set doesn’t have a full tank left. Eventually he’s gonna fall off a cliff.
He didn’t this year. Because of that, he’s going to get much more for 2012 and 2013 than he would have had he gotten the deal he wanted. A deal which, for some reason, I get the feeling Ortiz would be grumbling about being too big a bargain for the Sox had he signed it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)