Jul 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
More injury woes for the Dodgers.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dee Gordon needs surgery on his right thumb and is expected to miss six weeks. The speedy shortstop left last night’s game with what was initially diagnosed as a dislocated thumb, but it turns out he suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Luis Cruz will make the start at shortstop tonight while Elian Herrera and Jerry Hairston represent other in-house options. Gordon was struggling even before the injury, so it will be interesting to see whether Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti makes an addition before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Gordon leads the majors with 30 stolen bases, but he’s hitting just .229/.280/.282 with one home run, 17 RBI and a .562 OPS in 78 games. His 17 errors lead all position players.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 29
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 21
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)