Jul 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
More injury woes for the Dodgers.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dee Gordon needs surgery on his right thumb and is expected to miss six weeks. The speedy shortstop left last night’s game with what was initially diagnosed as a dislocated thumb, but it turns out he suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Luis Cruz will make the start at shortstop tonight while Elian Herrera and Jerry Hairston represent other in-house options. Gordon was struggling even before the injury, so it will be interesting to see whether Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti makes an addition before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Gordon leads the majors with 30 stolen bases, but he’s hitting just .229/.280/.282 with one home run, 17 RBI and a .562 OPS in 78 games. His 17 errors lead all position players.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)