Jul 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
More injury woes for the Dodgers.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dee Gordon needs surgery on his right thumb and is expected to miss six weeks. The speedy shortstop left last night’s game with what was initially diagnosed as a dislocated thumb, but it turns out he suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Luis Cruz will make the start at shortstop tonight while Elian Herrera and Jerry Hairston represent other in-house options. Gordon was struggling even before the injury, so it will be interesting to see whether Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti makes an addition before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Gordon leads the majors with 30 stolen bases, but he’s hitting just .229/.280/.282 with one home run, 17 RBI and a .562 OPS in 78 games. His 17 errors lead all position players.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)