Jul 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
More injury woes for the Dodgers.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dee Gordon needs surgery on his right thumb and is expected to miss six weeks. The speedy shortstop left last night’s game with what was initially diagnosed as a dislocated thumb, but it turns out he suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Luis Cruz will make the start at shortstop tonight while Elian Herrera and Jerry Hairston represent other in-house options. Gordon was struggling even before the injury, so it will be interesting to see whether Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti makes an addition before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Gordon leads the majors with 30 stolen bases, but he’s hitting just .229/.280/.282 with one home run, 17 RBI and a .562 OPS in 78 games. His 17 errors lead all position players.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)