Jul 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
More injury woes for the Dodgers.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dee Gordon needs surgery on his right thumb and is expected to miss six weeks. The speedy shortstop left last night’s game with what was initially diagnosed as a dislocated thumb, but it turns out he suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Luis Cruz will make the start at shortstop tonight while Elian Herrera and Jerry Hairston represent other in-house options. Gordon was struggling even before the injury, so it will be interesting to see whether Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti makes an addition before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Gordon leads the majors with 30 stolen bases, but he’s hitting just .229/.280/.282 with one home run, 17 RBI and a .562 OPS in 78 games. His 17 errors lead all position players.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)