Dustin Pedroia headed for disabled list with thumb injury

Jul 5, 2012, 9:31 PM EST

Dustin Pedroia Getty Getty Images

Dustin Pedroia managed to avoid the disabled list after being diagnosed with a torn adductor muscle in his right thumb in late May, but he’ll have no such luck this time around.

Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that Pedroia is indeed DL-bound. The 28-year-old second baseman sat out yesterday’s game after jamming his right thumb while trying to make a diving catch during on Tuesday. The injury is in a different area than the torn muscle.

The Red Sox have yet to make an official announcement, but Rob Bradford of WEEI.com was told by a major league source that surgery will not be required and Pedroia is expected to return when he’s first eligible.

Pedroia is hitting .266/.326/.400 with six home runs, 33 RBI, six stolen bases and a .726 OPS in 74 games played. Nick Punto figures to get most of the playing time at second base during his absence.

1. EK Ohio - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Welcome to the Pedro Ciriaco era.

• skeleteeth - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Eeek…6/49 BB/K and 11 errors @ Pawtucket…

2. skeleteeth - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Ugh.

• baseballisboring - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Yeah that about covers it.

3. hammyofdoom - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Screw the curse of the bambino, the curse of “chicken ‘n beer” has been HORRIBLE. I mean dear lord, how many injuries is this team going to be able to take before they simply become a literal black hole in the middle of the diamond?

• skeleteeth - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Yes, screw the Curse of the Bambino indeed…

• pisano - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Maybe this entire organization ought to check into rehab instead of going on the DL. I’m just sayin

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

A black hole, eh? The rest of the players better stay away from the Springfield Mystery Spot.

• md23rewlz - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Whoever those two people are who clicked dislike on this Simpsons reference need to show their faces so that they may be banned. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go chug some nerve tonic.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

He can put it up Big Papi’s ass for warmth. It seems like it’s a little tight there.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Okay, Sox fan here but I had a good chuckle at that one

5. downsouthnow - Jul 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Probably jammed it diving for the throw down from the catcher between innings – that’s flashy.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

When doesnt Pedroia have some kind of injury? Can you say washed up? Oh yea you sure can

7. md23rewlz - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

No worries. I hear he’s going to come back tomorrow and field some grounders from his knees for the sole purpose of getting some camera time. Did you know that Dustin Pedroia is a grind-it-out hustler? I do. Because I saw him field grounders from his knees for no reason while he was injured.

I’m not actually sure why I chose to bring this up again. Maybe my default setting when I hear anything about Pedroia is to roll my eyes and remember. One of these days I will work to soften my cynicism. One of these days…

• psousa1 - Jul 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

As a sox fan I still find that a funny post because I thought the same thing when it was on TV. Only one better was Youkilis. He always knew when the cameras were going to be on him. When he had to make a long throw from 3rd he always made sure to grimace in pain and shake his arm. That’s why I was not a big fan of him. I remember a game in 2009 against Cleveland (in April!) and they lost in the bottom of the 9th when Youkilis fielded a ground ball at first, flipped to Javy Lopez (the left handed reliver) who was covering the bag and he dropped the ball letting the winning run come in. Youkilis went to the dugout after everyone left the field with this despondent look on his face like they just loss game 7 of the WS all in the name of camera time. He knew they would be on him and the announcers who be weepy saying “Look how much he cares…………….”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4751)
  2. M. Kemp (3765)
  3. M. Cabrera (2941)
  4. J. Kang (2875)
  5. J. Upton (2675)
  1. M. Morse (2638)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2365)
  3. A. Rios (2315)