Jul 5, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton missed his fourth straight game this afternoon due to a left knee injury and Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post is reporting that the Marlins have already ruled him out for Friday’s game.
Stanton underwent an MRI earlier this week which revealed a loose body in the knee. He took batting practice in the cage today without any issues, but the real test will come tomorrow when he goes through full pre-game activities.
Stanton will likely need to have the loose body removed at some point and the 22-year-old slugger even raised the possibility that he could undergo arthroscopic surgery during the All-Star break. The Marlins will do everything to avoid that, of course, so it’s possible he’ll sit out the rest of the weekend and maybe even the Home Run Derby and All-Star Game.
Stanton is hitting .283/.364/.555 with 19 home runs, 50 RBI and a .918 OPS in 78 games this season. He has amassed 75 home runs through his first 328 major league games.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games