Jamie Moyer has to be done now, right?

Jul 5, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

moyer getty Getty Images

When the Blue Jays became the third team to employ Jamie Moyer this season, the word was that his contract called for him to make two starts. He had the second of those starts on Tuesday. Here, via the Toronto Star, are the results:

In two starts with the Las Vegas 51s, Moyer is 1-1 with a 8.18 ERA through 11 innings. He gave up 17 hits, 10 runs and three home runs in those 11 innings, and opposition batters were hitting .340 off him.

No word on his release, but it has to be inevitable. And when it happens, I think Moyer — sadly — has to call it a career.

1. redguy12588 - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He’s got one more start either way.

2. icanspeel - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

He hasn’t been to the Padres yet.. If Kip Wells can come out of retirement to make the Padres rotation why not Moyer? Andrew Cashner just got injured so he’d only have to compete with Russ Ohlendorf for a spot on the rotation.

3. paperlions - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Again, I just don’t think you can learn much about a pitcher by making him pitch in that environment. Breaking pitches are straighter, and batted balls fly much farther…..just a silly place to have a minor league club, which is why many real pitching prospects never pitch there (or spend much time in that league at all).

4. umrguy42 - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Am I the only person who thinks he looks like Charlie Sheen in that photo that Craig keeps using?

• pjmitch - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yes, yes you are.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I agree- nothing like Sheen,

• umrguy42 - Jul 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM

deathmonkey, I think it’s the hair. Crazy hair, and a bit of a world-weary look in his eyes.

• Chris K - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I think he looks more like Gregg Zaun

• larrytsg - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I agreed with you…. I saw the pic and posted almost the same thing a week or two ago….

5. ajcardsfan - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Have a great retirement Moyer, to quote Casablanca: “Here’s looking at you, kid.

6. cur68 - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I hope Jaimie doesn’t give up. Someone, somewhere needs a crafty lefty, even if its for mop up duty.

• Old Gator - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I just had a quart container of cole slaw fall out of my fridge door shelf. I can use him.

• cur68 - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Dude, his delivery of the slaw to the trash would be so slow, it’d grow legs and walk there by itself before he gets it in.

7. bougin89 - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Once the Brewers have a fire sale and trade Greinke and Marcum and whoever else I wouldn’t mind giving Moyer some starts….hell, we have Livan Hernandez in the bull pen and we won’t be competing regardless.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

me thinks the jays should call him up ASAP and use him as a starter!

9. dondada10 - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

What I don’t understand is why Moyer can only come back as a starter. He’d probably make a great LOOGY on a lot of teams.

10. agelardi - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Moyer must be really dreading spending time with the family.

11. theutilityman - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I’m not sure why Minnesota hasn’t given him a try yet. Thanks to injury (Baker) and general ineffectiveness (Blackburn), their rotation is full of youngsters (Diamond, DeVries, Hendricks) and headcases (Liriano) who could probably benefit from someone with a quarter of a century’s worth of MLB experience.

Yet nobody seems to want him on the major league roster just to provide leadership and guidance. Does that mean he’s not really perceived as a leader? Do front offices look at signing a 49-year-old who hasn’t put up good numbers since 2008 as more of a white flag than a team-building exercise?

What about signing him as a player/pitching coach?

12. natsattack - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

News Flash: It appears Jamie Moyer is done.
    Original…

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3959)