Jul 5, 2012, 1:18 PM EST
Matt Joyce was slated to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays’ lineup this weekend, but had to leave yesterday’s minor-league rehab game at Triple-A after tweaking his lower back.
Joyce is on the DL because of a strained oblique muscle and Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune notes that lower back soreness was the initial symptom of the oblique problems.
Joyce had three plate appearances before leaving in what was supposed to be the first of two rehab games. At this point it seems safe to assume that he won’t return until after the All-Star break.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)