Jul 5, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Matt Joyce was slated to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays’ lineup this weekend, but had to leave yesterday’s minor-league rehab game at Triple-A after tweaking his lower back.
Joyce is on the DL because of a strained oblique muscle and Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune notes that lower back soreness was the initial symptom of the oblique problems.
Joyce had three plate appearances before leaving in what was supposed to be the first of two rehab games. At this point it seems safe to assume that he won’t return until after the All-Star break.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 112
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)