Jul 5, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Matt Joyce was slated to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays’ lineup this weekend, but had to leave yesterday’s minor-league rehab game at Triple-A after tweaking his lower back.
Joyce is on the DL because of a strained oblique muscle and Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune notes that lower back soreness was the initial symptom of the oblique problems.
Joyce had three plate appearances before leaving in what was supposed to be the first of two rehab games. At this point it seems safe to assume that he won’t return until after the All-Star break.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)