A fan yelled racist stuff at Carl Crawford on his rehab assignment

Jul 6, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Carl Crawford Getty Getty Images

Carl Crawford is bound to take a lot of boos and jeers from Red Sox fans until he starts producing for the big club. But one dude in New Hampshire took it up (or down) a notch during Crawford’s rehab game against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in Manchester last night:

The fan — who Crawford claimed uttered “a racial slur” — routinely made his feelings known with regard to the left fielder’s $142 million contract and whether he was earning it. The heckler’s message: overrated, overpaid …

… “Talking about that guy, he actually called me a racial slur to begin the game,” said Crawford … “He was the only one I had a problem with. People in Boston don’t even do that. So I don’t know what that was about. It’s not that bad in Boston, like that.”

I’m sure it made the fan feel pretty good and pretty clever. After which he drove home and resumed his miserable, pathetic life and continued to channel his own frustrations and mental limitations into hostility towards others and will eventually die never having come close to understanding even a scintilla of what life is about nor experiencing true human affection.

103 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Did he wipe away his tears with one of his $142 million bills? It’s a freakin’ word- who cares what some fan at a minor league game might or might not have said? He shouldn’t have even bothered mentioning it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

It’s a freakin’ word

Definitely finalist for ignorant comment of the year award here

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Sorry I’m not as enlightened as you. It’s a freakin’ word though. He decided to give that word power by making it a public issue with the media. If he laughed the guy off and didn’t mention it, it would have bothered the guy that he didn’t react to it. Now the guy gets full satisfaction to know that it did.

• dickclydesdale - Jul 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

black people are ignorant, they love calling each other ni99ers but when someone else does they call it a racial slur. Go to any local park where there are blacks playing basketball or football and you would think of their first name being ni99a since that is what they call each other. I’m sure Crawford and his black red sox teammates use it as a point of reference to themselves when they are alone.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It’s too bad that no matter where you go to a baseball game there are always idiots that think they’re just hilarious for yelling racial/homophobic slurs at the players. I bet all these guys are real tough and would say the same stuff if the player was standing right in front of them…..

3. jfk69 - Jul 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

One idiot and hundreds of fans and Crawford focuses on the idiot. Bawaaaaaaaa. TS 140 million dollar man
    My response to the clown.
    Thank you for paying to see me play or then again maybe not..Then a wink and a laugh and i am on my way.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet