Jul 6, 2012, 5:50 AM EDT
Braves 7, Cubs 3: Brian McCann and Jason Heyward homer, helping the Braves salvage the split. I think if they dropped this one I would have launched my annual “teams I’d root for if I didn’t root for the Braves” post, but they’ve got a reprieve.
Pirates 2, Astros 0: You can say the Pirates recent hot streak is courtesy of playing four games against the Rockies. Or you can say that they’re a team winning the games they’re supposed to win. Doesn’t matter: they’re still in first place. Jeff Karstens threw eight shutout innings fanning eight.
Royals 9, Blue Jays 6: Eric Hosmer had three RBI and Luke Hochevar pitched well but had to leave early due to sprained ankle he sustained while covering first base. That’s it. Tomorrow, pitcher fielding practice for everyone. Oh, wait, no. None of that. That’s how Hochevar got hurt in the first place.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 1: Is it bad that I had never heard of Nate Eovaldi before I read this box score? Hell, I can’t know everything. He won for the Dodgers, though, giving up one run in six innings.
Indians 3, Rays 1: Tampa Bay continues to slide. They’ve lost eight of ten. The Indians have won six of eight. And yes, these are bogus uneven data sets. Do what I wanna do.
Nationals 6, Giants 5: The Nats win on a walkoff … um, botched double play. Adam LaRoche should have been out and the game should have headed to extras when he hit a bases loaded one out grounder to short in the ninth. But Brandon Crawford threw low to first, LaRoche was safe, the run scored and the Nats had a sweep of the Giants.
Tigers 7, Twins 3: A three-run homer in the eighth inning by Prince Fielder broke a tie that probably shouldn’t have been tie, except for the fact that the Twins couldn’t score despite having a boatload of base runners. Or, as my son calls it, a buttload. Either way, really.
Padres 2, Reds 1: Six straight wins for San Diego, and eight of 11, this one via a Evereth Cabrera bases loaded single in the bottom of the ninth. The game featured a matchup of pitchers in that big offseason trade: Mat Latos vs. Edinson Volquez. Both of them pitched fantastically.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)