Jul 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Macy’s started selling Yankees Cologne a few months ago. And it’s a big hit:
Industry sources said Cloudbreak will sell $12 million to $14 million of the Yankees cologne — $62 for a 3.4-ounce bottle — and the similarly priced “Yankees For Her” perfume by year’s end. Cloudbreak Group CEO Tom Butkiewicz would not confirm dollar figures, but said sales were on track to exceed initial projections by an astounding 40 percent.
I haven’t smelled the stuff, but for some reason I just assume it smells like my freshman year roommates. Those guys would roll out of bed, pick up a shirt off the dorm room floor and just douse the hell out of it in Claiborne for Men. So some combination of body odor, musty, dusty dorm floor and Claiborne. Has to be that.
The success of this stuff has MLB wanting to license scents for other teams too. Quick: anyone have any ideas what an Atlanta Braves cologne would smell like? How about the Mets? Philly? The mind, and the nose, reels …
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (79)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)