Jul 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Macy’s started selling Yankees Cologne a few months ago. And it’s a big hit:
Industry sources said Cloudbreak will sell $12 million to $14 million of the Yankees cologne — $62 for a 3.4-ounce bottle — and the similarly priced “Yankees For Her” perfume by year’s end. Cloudbreak Group CEO Tom Butkiewicz would not confirm dollar figures, but said sales were on track to exceed initial projections by an astounding 40 percent.
I haven’t smelled the stuff, but for some reason I just assume it smells like my freshman year roommates. Those guys would roll out of bed, pick up a shirt off the dorm room floor and just douse the hell out of it in Claiborne for Men. So some combination of body odor, musty, dusty dorm floor and Claiborne. Has to be that.
The success of this stuff has MLB wanting to license scents for other teams too. Quick: anyone have any ideas what an Atlanta Braves cologne would smell like? How about the Mets? Philly? The mind, and the nose, reels …
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)