Apparently people want to smell like the New York Yankees

Jul 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Yankees_logo-thumb-125x139-1687

Macy’s started selling Yankees Cologne a few months ago. And it’s a big hit:

Industry sources said Cloudbreak will sell $12 million to $14 million of the Yankees cologne — $62 for a 3.4-ounce bottle — and the similarly priced “Yankees For Her” perfume by year’s end. Cloudbreak Group CEO Tom Butkiewicz would not confirm dollar figures, but said sales were on track to exceed initial projections by an astounding 40 percent.

I haven’t smelled the stuff, but for some reason I just assume it smells like my freshman year roommates. Those guys would roll out of bed, pick up a shirt off the dorm room floor and just douse the hell out of it in Claiborne for Men. So some combination of body odor, musty, dusty dorm floor and Claiborne. Has to be that.

The success of this stuff has MLB wanting to license scents for other teams too. Quick: anyone have any ideas what an Atlanta Braves cologne would smell like? How about the Mets? Philly?  The mind, and the nose, reels …

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

my freshman year roommates. Those guys would roll out of bed, pick up a shirt off the dorm room floor and just douse the hell out of it in Claiborne for Men,

Unless you lived with women the rest of your college careers, didn’t your soph/jr/sr year roommates do the same?

• stex52 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

After a year of that he probably got his own apartment. I did.

• stex52 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM

And yes, I was always attempting to fill it with females.

2. vansloot - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The Cubs cologne, Wrigleystank, will smell like stale beer, axe body spray, and defeat.

3. stex52 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I can just marely imagine that I might want to smell like a NY Yankee. Unlikely, but possible.

But I will promise you that I do not want her to smell like a NY Yankee.

• stex52 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

“Barely”, not “Marely”. Looks like a Freudian slip, but it’s just a typo.

• SmackSaw - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

That’s a clown typo, bro.

4. cur68 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I think you’re wrong about what it smells like. I betcha Yankee Cologne smells like cowhide, tobacco, and Minka Kelly. Why do I think this? Because that’s probably what Jeter smells like (or his balls…the ones he puts in gift baskets, I mean) and he IS the Yankees.

• cur68 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Nearly forgot, but Beaver Wrestler’s Cologne smells like you’d expect: Beaver Musk…which, as anyone who’s been near a beaver knows, smells like damp wood. Lots and lots of wood.

5. stex52 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Houston Astros. Hmmmmmm.. Have you ever worked in a petroleum refinery?

6. ThisIsBaseball - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Taxi exhaust, roasted chestnuts, and pizza. That’s what it smells like.

7. mattyflex - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I’d like to nominate Aqua Velva as the official cologne of the Kansas City Royals.

8. sdelmonte - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

The Yankees smell like money. Lots and lots of money.

The Mets smell like Queens. Which could mean they stink of Flushing Bay during a heat wave. But could also mean the aromas of 30 different cuisines. The ballpark is just minutes by 7-train from the Jackson Diner, considered to be one of NYC’s best Indian restaurants. And about 30 minutes from the smells of half a dozen kosher bakeries making challah on a Friday morning. I know that isn’t what the players really even smell like, but I can always aim higher. And I do love my borough.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

i bet it smells like a winner, a champion. Who wouldnt want to smell like that?

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I was going to say the same thing. They should have Charlie Sheen as their spokesperson.

• Jeremy T - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Well they know where to find him. Michael Kay’s interviewing him on YES for Centerstage on (I think) Sunday. Which really seems odd to me. I just assumed we as a society had decided to stop paying attention to Charlie Sheen.

• 1overmind - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I bet it smells like something that chokes in the playoffs every year.

10. SmackSaw - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

It smells like old money.

11. joshftw - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I’m betting the Phillies’ scent would be something like anxious flop-sweat.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

More like Cheesesteaks, pretzels, and Yuengling delicately balanced to specifically attract Sheena Parveen.

12. stackers1 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I went to a Yankee game last month where they were giving out the scented cards (like in magazines) & the whole stadium wreaked of the stuff. I thought it was cheezy & just plain awful.

When they announced the coming of Yankee cologne during the winter, David Letterman said – “Just what I always wanted – to smell like Nick Swisher”.

13. The Rabbit - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The markup on the production of “fragrances” is freakin’ outrageous which is why every so-called celebrity has one.
    Given the fact that almost all of this stuff makes me sneeze and my eyes water, I’d rather swell sweat and beer.

• The Rabbit - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Smell…Edit Function

• stex52 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Or “swill”? :-)

• The Rabbit - Jul 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM

@stex
        LOL.Swilling is both a sport and an art form and needs its own blog.

14. fb29 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Braves cologne would smell like pregnant Hooters waitresses, Terry Pendleton in a crime dog costume in August, and roasted peanuts.

Or maybe it just attracts Hooters waitresses?

15. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

If they make a Cubs scent that smells like a combination of an italian beef sandwich, Goose Island beer, and Lake Michigan on a good day I will buy it just to spray around my apartment when my girlfriend goes out of town.

16. randygnyc - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

The Red Sox KKKologne.

17. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Piss and vinegar.

18. dondada10 - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I bet the Blue Jays smell sweet…and I bet the Giants have some sorta of sandalwood thing going.

19. gloccamorra - Jul 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The Milwaukee Brewers’ scent would have to include a bail bond discount card to make up for the drunk driving arrests.

1. M. Morse (2348)