Jul 6, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
St. Louis will be without Yadier Molina for the final series of the first half, as the Cardinals placed the All-Star catcher on the bereavement list prior to tonight’s game against the Marlins.
Triple-A catcher Bryan Anderson was called up from Memphis to take Molina’s roster spot, but the former fourth-round pick has seen his stock plummet while hitting .210 in 64 games this season.
Molina has started 71 of 83 games, with backup Tony Cruz drawing the other 12 starts. No word yet on whether Molina’s status for the All-Star game could be in question.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)