Jul 6, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
St. Louis will be without Yadier Molina for the final series of the first half, as the Cardinals placed the All-Star catcher on the bereavement list prior to tonight’s game against the Marlins.
Triple-A catcher Bryan Anderson was called up from Memphis to take Molina’s roster spot, but the former fourth-round pick has seen his stock plummet while hitting .210 in 64 games this season.
Molina has started 71 of 83 games, with backup Tony Cruz drawing the other 12 starts. No word yet on whether Molina’s status for the All-Star game could be in question.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)