Jul 6, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
St. Louis will be without Yadier Molina for the final series of the first half, as the Cardinals placed the All-Star catcher on the bereavement list prior to tonight’s game against the Marlins.
Triple-A catcher Bryan Anderson was called up from Memphis to take Molina’s roster spot, but the former fourth-round pick has seen his stock plummet while hitting .210 in 64 games this season.
Molina has started 71 of 83 games, with backup Tony Cruz drawing the other 12 starts. No word yet on whether Molina’s status for the All-Star game could be in question.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)