Jul 6, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Good news for the Marlins. And, well, for those who were hoping to see Giancarlo Stanton hit some bombs next week at Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Stanton plans to return to the Marlins’ starting lineup tomorrow night against the Cardinals. The 22-year-old slugger has been sidelined since Monday due to right knee soreness, but he felt good after going through a 30-minute workout prior to tonight’s game.
Stanton will eventually need surgery to remove a loose body from his knee, but he hopes to put it off until the offseason.
“It just feels weird but it’s not restricting at the moment. Obviously it’s bouncing around in there. But I’ll play tomorrow,” he said.
“It has gotten better each day which I did not think it would.”
Assuming Stanton makes it through the weekend without any setbacks, he should be good to go for Monday’s Home Run Derby and Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 7
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)