Jul 6, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: This could just be a formality, but the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that negotiations between the two sides are ongoing and that an agreement is not expected until after the All-Star break.
9:22 PM: The O’Malley family is getting back in the baseball ownership business. This time with the Padres.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has the goods:
Source: O'Malley group selected to buy #Padres. Price will be $800M, including $200M for portion of team's equity in Fox Sports San Diego.—
Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 07, 2012
The O’Malley group, which includes four grandchildren of former Dodgers owner Walter O’Malley, has emerged as the favorite over the past couple of weeks and was recently given an exclusive window to purchase majority control of the club from outgoing owner John Moores. Golfer Phil Mickelson, who is from San Diego, is also an investor with the group. Commissioner Bud Selig expressed support of the O’Malley’s bid earlier this week.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)