Jul 6, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: This could just be a formality, but the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that negotiations between the two sides are ongoing and that an agreement is not expected until after the All-Star break.
9:22 PM: The O’Malley family is getting back in the baseball ownership business. This time with the Padres.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has the goods:
Source: O'Malley group selected to buy #Padres. Price will be $800M, including $200M for portion of team's equity in Fox Sports San Diego.—
Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 07, 2012
The O’Malley group, which includes four grandchildren of former Dodgers owner Walter O’Malley, has emerged as the favorite over the past couple of weeks and was recently given an exclusive window to purchase majority control of the club from outgoing owner John Moores. Golfer Phil Mickelson, who is from San Diego, is also an investor with the group. Commissioner Bud Selig expressed support of the O’Malley’s bid earlier this week.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?