Jul 6, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: This could just be a formality, but the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that negotiations between the two sides are ongoing and that an agreement is not expected until after the All-Star break.
9:22 PM: The O’Malley family is getting back in the baseball ownership business. This time with the Padres.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has the goods:
Source: O'Malley group selected to buy #Padres. Price will be $800M, including $200M for portion of team's equity in Fox Sports San Diego.—
Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 07, 2012
The O’Malley group, which includes four grandchildren of former Dodgers owner Walter O’Malley, has emerged as the favorite over the past couple of weeks and was recently given an exclusive window to purchase majority control of the club from outgoing owner John Moores. Golfer Phil Mickelson, who is from San Diego, is also an investor with the group. Commissioner Bud Selig expressed support of the O’Malley’s bid earlier this week.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 3
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 46
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)