Jul 6, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
There will be no shortage of teams interested in Zack Greinke if the Brewers make him available before the July 31 trade deadline and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are already “going hard” after the former Cy Young winner.
Connolly spoke to a an unnamed MLB executive from a non-Baltimore team and writes that “the Orioles appear to be the most aggressive suitor” for Greinke, although it’s not a guarantee that the Brewers end up trading him if they can get a long-term contract extension done in the next couple weeks.
Any trade would presumably have to bring back more value to the Brewers than a pair of draft picks, which they could get as compensation for Greinke leaving as a free agent. He’s making $13.5 million in the final year of a deal signed with the Royals and is 25-8 with a 3.54 ERA in 45 starts for the Brewers since they parted with Jake Odorizzi, Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, and Jeremy Jeffress to get him in December of 2010.
Baltimore has a pair of truly elite prospects in Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado, but the Orioles would be crazy to make either available for a half-season of Greinke and Connolly speculates that they may lack the second-tier prospects to entire the Brewers.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)