Jul 6, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
There will be no shortage of teams interested in Zack Greinke if the Brewers make him available before the July 31 trade deadline and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are already “going hard” after the former Cy Young winner.
Connolly spoke to a an unnamed MLB executive from a non-Baltimore team and writes that “the Orioles appear to be the most aggressive suitor” for Greinke, although it’s not a guarantee that the Brewers end up trading him if they can get a long-term contract extension done in the next couple weeks.
Any trade would presumably have to bring back more value to the Brewers than a pair of draft picks, which they could get as compensation for Greinke leaving as a free agent. He’s making $13.5 million in the final year of a deal signed with the Royals and is 25-8 with a 3.54 ERA in 45 starts for the Brewers since they parted with Jake Odorizzi, Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, and Jeremy Jeffress to get him in December of 2010.
Baltimore has a pair of truly elite prospects in Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado, but the Orioles would be crazy to make either available for a half-season of Greinke and Connolly speculates that they may lack the second-tier prospects to entire the Brewers.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)