Jul 6, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
Hector Luna was optioned to Triple-A to make room on the roster for Howard, who went 10-for-20 (.500) with a homer and two doubles in seven minor-league games while rehabbing his torn Achilles’ tendon.
Howard’s return comes just seven games after Chase Utley made his season debut, so the Phillies’ lineup is suddenly pretty healthy and actually managed to be decent with the sixth-most runs in the league even without Utley and Howard for the first three months.
Philadelphia’s fill-in first basemen hit .258 with 12 homers and a .733 OPS in Howard’s absence to rank 18th among MLB teams. Last season Howard hit .253 with 33 homers and an .835 OPS in 152 games, driving in 100-plus runs for the sixth straight season but posting the worst OPS of his career and failing to top a .500 slugging percentage for the first time at age 31.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)