Royals want a player, not a prospect, for Jonathan Broxton

Jul 6, 2012, 6:29 PM EST

That according to FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi:

Broxton, who was signed to set up Joakim Soria this season, has a 1.99 ERA and 21 saves in 24 opportunities as Kansas City’s closer. Still, the Royals would likely be OK without him, as they’d still have some combination of Greg Holland, Aaron Crow and Tim Collins to pitch the final two or three innings.

It’s a given that if the Royals want a major leaguer for Broxton then they’re looking to upgrade their rotation. But the list of contenders that would spare a starter in return for a closer isn’t long, if it exists at all. With Roy Halladay on the way back, the Phillies might be open to trading Joe Blanton to bring in Broxton as an eighth-inning guy, but that’s not the kind of guy the Royals are looking for.

The best possibility I can see is with the Mets. They could send Dillon Gee to Kansas City for Broxton and then call up Matt Harvey to take his rotation spot. Still, I don’t think I’d make that trade if I were the Mets. A half-season of Broxton isn’t worth 4 1/2 of Gee. Maybe if the Royals included Jose Mijares as well, giving the Mets two bullpen upgrades.

Still, my guess is that when Broxton goes — and it probably is a matter of when — it’s simply for a prospect or two. The Royals aren’t completely out of the mix in the weak AL Central, but they’re also not really a fourth starter away from becoming a contender.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

How about Boston? Matsuzaka (?) for Broxton?

• pisano - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

proudly…. that would be great for Boston, but I can’t see anyone wanting that bum Dice-k for any quality player in exchange. He’ll probably go to the NL next year, by far the easier league to pitch in, just look at AJ Burnett.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

LOL! They could also throw in Bard, Lackey and cash.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Cook for Broxton would actually be interesting if the Royals really thought they were an SP away. The Royals see themselves as having a very good defensive infield with Escobar and their former shortstop now at second base.

Still, I think it’d make more sense to trade Broxton for a prospect than a free-agent-to-be.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Cook makes sense Matthew. The Royals do have decent position players. I mentioned Boston because of Aceves ERA.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

The way Beckett has pitched in the first inning tonight makes me wonder if Boston fans would be willing to have him traded for Broxton.

• dan1111 - Jul 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM

I think the bullpen is pretty low on the Sox’s long list of problems. I don’t see them trading away Cook or Matsuzaka. And Broxton is probably overvalued. His last two seasons were poor. His ERA may look nice this season, but his peripheral stats are unimpressive. Anyone who thinks he has returned to his previous dominance is likely to be disappointed.

2. exibitsman - Jul 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I don’t see the Mets trading GEE for two months of Brockton.

• Ben - Jul 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I don’t either. I actually like Gee, and think his xFIP of 3.47 reflects a real improvement–he’s been hounded by home runs, but it’s not like he’s a crazy fly-ball pitcher with a career 49% GB rate. His SwSrk% is improved from 2011. I think he could be a consistent pitcher in the future, especially since it seems like he’s cut back his walks a good bit. He was never seen as much of a prospect, so I sort of like rooting for him.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester