Jul 6, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
That according to FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi:
If #Royals move Jonathan Broxton, source says they are asking for a right-now major league piece in return.—
Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 06, 2012
Broxton, who was signed to set up Joakim Soria this season, has a 1.99 ERA and 21 saves in 24 opportunities as Kansas City’s closer. Still, the Royals would likely be OK without him, as they’d still have some combination of Greg Holland, Aaron Crow and Tim Collins to pitch the final two or three innings.
It’s a given that if the Royals want a major leaguer for Broxton then they’re looking to upgrade their rotation. But the list of contenders that would spare a starter in return for a closer isn’t long, if it exists at all. With Roy Halladay on the way back, the Phillies might be open to trading Joe Blanton to bring in Broxton as an eighth-inning guy, but that’s not the kind of guy the Royals are looking for.
The best possibility I can see is with the Mets. They could send Dillon Gee to Kansas City for Broxton and then call up Matt Harvey to take his rotation spot. Still, I don’t think I’d make that trade if I were the Mets. A half-season of Broxton isn’t worth 4 1/2 of Gee. Maybe if the Royals included Jose Mijares as well, giving the Mets two bullpen upgrades.
Still, my guess is that when Broxton goes — and it probably is a matter of when — it’s simply for a prospect or two. The Royals aren’t completely out of the mix in the weak AL Central, but they’re also not really a fourth starter away from becoming a contender.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)