Jul 6, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks will enter play this evening at 39-43, seven games back in the National League West and 5 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race, so it’s a little too soon to waive the white flag on the season. In fact, Rosenthal and Morosi note that the D-Backs could target a third baseman if they make a playoff push in the days ahead.
Upton is no stranger to trade rumors, as Kevin Towers openly shopped him during his first offseason as Arizona’s general manager. We could see less sellers than ever before because of the extra Wild Card in each league, so if Arizona fades in the days ahead, it only makes sense to see if a contender is willing to give up a large haul of prospects.
Upton is batting .266/.348/.378 with seven home runs, 34 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .726 OPS in 76 games this season. He signed a six-year, $51.25 million extension with Arizona back in March of 2010 which includes salaries of $6.75 million for 2012, $9.75 million for 2013, $14.25 million for 2014 and $14.5 million for 2015. While the 24-year-old outfielder has struggled a bit this season, Towers would shoot for the moon with interested suitors.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 32
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 46
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32