Jul 6, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks will enter play this evening at 39-43, seven games back in the National League West and 5 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race, so it’s a little too soon to waive the white flag on the season. In fact, Rosenthal and Morosi note that the D-Backs could target a third baseman if they make a playoff push in the days ahead.
Upton is no stranger to trade rumors, as Kevin Towers openly shopped him during his first offseason as Arizona’s general manager. We could see less sellers than ever before because of the extra Wild Card in each league, so if Arizona fades in the days ahead, it only makes sense to see if a contender is willing to give up a large haul of prospects.
Upton is batting .266/.348/.378 with seven home runs, 34 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .726 OPS in 76 games this season. He signed a six-year, $51.25 million extension with Arizona back in March of 2010 which includes salaries of $6.75 million for 2012, $9.75 million for 2013, $14.25 million for 2014 and $14.5 million for 2015. While the 24-year-old outfielder has struggled a bit this season, Towers would shoot for the moon with interested suitors.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)