Jul 6, 2012, 8:39 PM EST
The Diamondbacks will enter play this evening at 39-43, seven games back in the National League West and 5 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race, so it’s a little too soon to waive the white flag on the season. In fact, Rosenthal and Morosi note that the D-Backs could target a third baseman if they make a playoff push in the days ahead.
Upton is no stranger to trade rumors, as Kevin Towers openly shopped him during his first offseason as Arizona’s general manager. We could see less sellers than ever before because of the extra Wild Card in each league, so if Arizona fades in the days ahead, it only makes sense to see if a contender is willing to give up a large haul of prospects.
Upton is batting .266/.348/.378 with seven home runs, 34 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .726 OPS in 76 games this season. He signed a six-year, $51.25 million extension with Arizona back in March of 2010 which includes salaries of $6.75 million for 2012, $9.75 million for 2013, $14.25 million for 2014 and $14.5 million for 2015. While the 24-year-old outfielder has struggled a bit this season, Towers would shoot for the moon with interested suitors.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15