Wanna buy a Lou Gehrig home run ball?

Jul 6, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

SPORT RIPKEN

It’s a significant one too:

A Connecticut family is selling a baseball that New York Yankees slugger Lou Gehrig hit a home run with in the 1928 World Series.

Elizabeth Gott, a Stamford resident, says she’s selling the ball on behalf of her 30-year-old son, Michael. She says the proceeds will be used to pay off his medical school debt.

Gehrig hit the homer off Grover Cleveland Alexander.  It’s expected to fetch between $100K and $200K. No word on whether young Michael’s specialty will be ALS and other diseases of the nervous system, but seeing as though Gehrig is indirectly paying for his education …

1. pjmitch - Jul 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM

And her proof that this is THAT ball is…??

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I really want to know how his family got that ball. I hope it’s an amazing story. Sounds like this will be a win-win.

2. dan1111 - Jul 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

100-200k? That should be a good start on paying off his med school loans. If that isn’t enough, maybe he can open a booth in the mall signing “I’m sorry Pete Rose bet on baseball” on balls.

3. joecool16280 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

This might sound weird but doctors are under paid. Good for the mom and best of luck to the son.

• ezthinking - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Most uneducated statement of the day. Median salary is $175,000 for a family practice doc. Specialties go up from there. http://www1.salary.com/Physician-Family-Practice-Salary.html

• joecool16280 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I guess you forgot to mention (or investigate via a 2 min google search) that malpractice insurance can easily top six figures. Add the cost of medical school and the fact that they basically give up a decade of their lives to education and the fact that they miss a lot of their children s youth. Who’s the ignorant one?

I live it dude. I’m a stay at home dad and my wife is a 4th year resident with two more years of fellowship.

• alang3131982 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

So, Joe, what you’re saying is is that your wife makes enough as a 4th year resident for you not to work? Sounds rough….

• joecool16280 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Nope. Thats another thing, residents make abut 50-55K for 70-100 hours per week. We live in a very urban area and borrow money every month just to live. We have very supportive parents who have sacrificed a lot. It takes an emotional toll on everyone involved. We’re both very thankful for all the help.

• joecool16280 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Sorry for the story I didn’t intend to go this deep into it. Whenever I read or hear stuff regarding med school and costs I can’t help but try and change the perception.

• deadeyedesign23 - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Jeuss what a dick. Count your own money man. If you think being a doctor is such a sweet gig go to medical school. You’ll only have to do exactly what his wife did and since it’s such a sweet deal I don’t know why you wouldn’t do it right?

4. yankees177 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The dude is 30 and moms still helping out? The dudes gonna be/is a doctor. I know doctors are underpaid for what they do but he’s going to be able to pay off that student debt (its not like they make peanuts!) Save the ball to give to his kids. The older it gets the more its worth.

5. nekotman - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Why don’t you guys back off of joe and worry about your own lives and bills. Some cruel people here.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I was about to say the same thing, thanks Neko. I know we like to have stupid baseball arguments on here sometimes but Joe took some crap he didn’t deserve, and it doesn’t hurt to have an educated opinion on the matter. My best friend is a podiatrist and he’s buried in debt – he makes a good living but it will take him a long time to be debt-free.

It’s tough either way. Lay off.

6. jfk69 - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Now you know why you will never have affordable health care in the USA. I will need THE BABES jockstrap to pay his bill.
    Next time you come in and ask for a raise while i am paying your medical premiums i will ask you this…..Your choice… Big fat raise and no medical or i continue to pay 10 to 15% increases yearly on group plan and no raise…Your choice

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win