Jul 6, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The Pirates made Daniel Moskos the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft, selecting him ahead of Matt Wieters, Jarrod Parker, Madison Bumgarner and Jason Heyward, among others. Five years and 24 1/3 major league innings later, he’s now a member of the White Sox organization after being claimed off waivers.
The selection of Moskos was viewed by most as a mistake right off the bat. In their defense, the Pirates knew Wieters was a better prospect; they just didn’t want to pay the price for him. Instead, they went for what they felt was the best available college pitcher. Unfortunately, there was really no right answer with that strategy. Other than David Price, who went first overall, none of the college pitchers taken in the first round that year have been successes. Ryan Detwiler is the best of the bunch. The supplemental round had Cory Luebke go 63rd overall. Jordan Zimmermann went at the top of the second round.
Moskos ended up bouncing back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen in the minors. He surfaced in the majors as a reliever last year and amassed a 2.96 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. However, that came with just 11 strikeouts and a 1.56 WHIP. He didn’t make the team out of spring training this season, and he was viewed as the most expendable player on the 40-man roster when the Pirates needed to make an addition earlier this week.
In Chicago, Moskos will get to work with Don Cooper, who has helped turn fellow first-round disappointments Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton and Philip Humber around. He probably has less to work with in this case, but the White Sox must see some potential in his left arm.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 44
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)