Jul 6, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The Pirates made Daniel Moskos the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft, selecting him ahead of Matt Wieters, Jarrod Parker, Madison Bumgarner and Jason Heyward, among others. Five years and 24 1/3 major league innings later, he’s now a member of the White Sox organization after being claimed off waivers.
The selection of Moskos was viewed by most as a mistake right off the bat. In their defense, the Pirates knew Wieters was a better prospect; they just didn’t want to pay the price for him. Instead, they went for what they felt was the best available college pitcher. Unfortunately, there was really no right answer with that strategy. Other than David Price, who went first overall, none of the college pitchers taken in the first round that year have been successes. Ryan Detwiler is the best of the bunch. The supplemental round had Cory Luebke go 63rd overall. Jordan Zimmermann went at the top of the second round.
Moskos ended up bouncing back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen in the minors. He surfaced in the majors as a reliever last year and amassed a 2.96 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. However, that came with just 11 strikeouts and a 1.56 WHIP. He didn’t make the team out of spring training this season, and he was viewed as the most expendable player on the 40-man roster when the Pirates needed to make an addition earlier this week.
In Chicago, Moskos will get to work with Don Cooper, who has helped turn fellow first-round disappointments Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton and Philip Humber around. He probably has less to work with in this case, but the White Sox must see some potential in his left arm.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)