Jul 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
If you’re one of the people who have become addicted to your phone, you likely get a great deal of stress when you go to the ballpark and can’t get cell phone service. At least for the data. But don’t blame your provider, because it sucks for pretty much everyone.
Some smart young men and women did an experiment at a recent Tigers-Red Sox game at Fenway, and the results were dismal:
Sprint and especially Verizon became so overwhelmed that their wireless networks were practically unusable throughout most of the game. Verizon actually had several network failures during the game, meaning download requests simply weren’t able to go through.
AT&T’s network was the only one that worked from start to finish, but its performance was still dreadful. Download speeds during the baseball game dropped to a third of what they were just minutes before and after the game.
I’ll admit this has bugged me more and more in recent years. Almost makes me want to invest in one of those crank-up phone in the bag like you see in World War II movies.
You can get on Twitter with those, right?
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)