Jul 7, 2012, 9:26 PM EDT
Andrew McCutchen is going up against the big boys.
The Pirates center fielder, who is listed at 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, was named as Giancarlo Stanton‘s replacement in Monday’s Home Run Derby.
McCutchen is tied for sixth in the National League with 16 homers this season, putting him on pace to smash his previous high of 23 homers from last season. All 16 homers have come since May 8, as he went homerless in his first 25 games of the season.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)