Jul 7, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
The hits just keep on coming for Brian Roberts.
Roberts made his long-awaited return from concussion symptoms last month, but he landed on the disabled list earlier this week with what was initially described as a right groin strain. However, Orioles manager Buck Showalter told Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun last night that an MRA revealed a right hip labral tear. Just brutal.
Roberts will get a second opinion from a hip specialist in Atlanta before deciding on a course of action, but surgery will likely be required.
“I traded texts with [Roberts] back and forth, obviously a little depressed about the physical issue,” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. “We were hoping to get better news. … I feel sorry for Brian, he worked so hard to get back to this point, to have something else crop up, it’s frustrating for him.”
Roberts batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five RBI and a stolen base in 17 games prior to being placed on the disabled list this week. The 34-year-old second baseman has appeared in just 115 games dating back to the start of the 2010 season. Hopefully some better luck is in his future.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)