Jul 7, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for Brian Roberts.
Roberts made his long-awaited return from concussion symptoms last month, but he landed on the disabled list earlier this week with what was initially described as a right groin strain. However, Orioles manager Buck Showalter told Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun last night that an MRA revealed a right hip labral tear. Just brutal.
Roberts will get a second opinion from a hip specialist in Atlanta before deciding on a course of action, but surgery will likely be required.
“I traded texts with [Roberts] back and forth, obviously a little depressed about the physical issue,” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. “We were hoping to get better news. … I feel sorry for Brian, he worked so hard to get back to this point, to have something else crop up, it’s frustrating for him.”
Roberts batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five RBI and a stolen base in 17 games prior to being placed on the disabled list this week. The 34-year-old second baseman has appeared in just 115 games dating back to the start of the 2010 season. Hopefully some better luck is in his future.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)