Jul 7, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for Brian Roberts.
Roberts made his long-awaited return from concussion symptoms last month, but he landed on the disabled list earlier this week with what was initially described as a right groin strain. However, Orioles manager Buck Showalter told Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun last night that an MRA revealed a right hip labral tear. Just brutal.
Roberts will get a second opinion from a hip specialist in Atlanta before deciding on a course of action, but surgery will likely be required.
“I traded texts with [Roberts] back and forth, obviously a little depressed about the physical issue,” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. “We were hoping to get better news. … I feel sorry for Brian, he worked so hard to get back to this point, to have something else crop up, it’s frustrating for him.”
Roberts batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five RBI and a stolen base in 17 games prior to being placed on the disabled list this week. The 34-year-old second baseman has appeared in just 115 games dating back to the start of the 2010 season. Hopefully some better luck is in his future.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)