Jul 7, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
Oh boy. Carl Crawford‘s return to the Red Sox will be delayed yet again, as Evan Drellich of MLB.com reports that the high-priced outfielder was pulled from his minor league rehab assignment due to a mild left groin strain.
Crawford must be shut down for five days before the 20-day window on his minor league rehab assignment can be reset. Of course, he could miss more than five days if additional tests reveal anything serious. He is currently on his way back to Boston for evaluation.
This is the second setback for Crawford since January surgery to remove cartilage from his left wrist. The 30-year-old was diagnosed with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow in late April.
Crawford batted just .255/.289/.405 with a .694 OPS last season in the first year of a seven-year, $142 million contract. His attempt at redemption will have to wait a little bit longer.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)