Jul 7, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
The Yankees defeated the Red Sox 10-8 last night without hitting a home run, just their second win this season without a homer, but they put on another power display this afternoon.
Franklin Morales was knocked around for six runs over just 3 1/3 innings as a Bombers cruised to a 6-1 win in the first game of a doubleheader.
Morales gave up four runs in the first inning, including a three-run home run by Nick Swisher and a solo shot by Andruw Jones. He served up back-to-back homers to Jones and Jayson Nix to begin the fourth inning and was pulled two batters later. The 25-year-old southpaw had allowed just four earned runs over 18 innings in his previous three starts and entered today’s action with a 2.51 ERA overall. It went up to 3.50 with the clunker, though he still has a good chance to keep a rotation spot even after Clay Buchholz returns from the disabled list.
Freddy Garcia was excellent against a weak Boston lineup, allowing one run on six hits over 6 2/3 innings while striking out five and walking a pair. The only run scored when Mauro Gomez, who was filling in for third baseman Will Middlebrooks, delivered an RBI single in the fourth. CC Sabathia is expected to return from the disabled list after the All-Star break, so the Yankees will have to decide whether Garcia or David Phelps will remain in the rotation. Phelps gave up one run over 4 1/3 innings against the Rays on Wednesday while striking out eight.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)