Jul 7, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: Uh-oh. According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Stanton left the game with right knee discomfort.
5:28 PM: This doesn’t sound promising.
After appearing as a pinch-hitter last night, Giancarlo Stanton was back in the Marlins’ starting lineup this afternoon for the first time since Monday. But his return didn’t last long. He had a single in his only at-bat and played right field for two innings before Scott Cousins pinch-hit for him in the third.
The Marlins have yet to make an announcement on the reason for his exit, but Stanton is currently dealing with a “loose body” in his right knee and it’s believed he’ll eventually require surgery. A setback could put him at risk for missing the upcoming Home Run Derby and All-Star Game and perhaps the start of the second half.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)