Jul 7, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
Manager Ozzie Guillen said he expected Stanton to miss 4-6 weeks, but players have occasionally returned from such surgeries after two or three weeks. The Marlins will have a better idea about Stanton’s timetable following the procedure.
Stanton’s loss is a big one for Miami, but the team is expected to get Emilio Bonifacio back after the All-Star break. His return to center field will allow the team to put the surprisingly productive Justin Ruggiano in right field. The team could also give Chris Coghlan another look. He’s hitting .333/.458/.487 in his last 10 games for Triple-A New Orleans.
The National League has announced that 19-year-old Bryce Harper will replace Stanton on the NL roster in the All-Star Game in Kansas City. Assuming Ryan Braun is still out, Jay Bruce would seem to be the obvious choice to step into Stanton’s Home Run Derby spot.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1