Jul 7, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
Manager Ozzie Guillen said he expected Stanton to miss 4-6 weeks, but players have occasionally returned from such surgeries after two or three weeks. The Marlins will have a better idea about Stanton’s timetable following the procedure.
Stanton’s loss is a big one for Miami, but the team is expected to get Emilio Bonifacio back after the All-Star break. His return to center field will allow the team to put the surprisingly productive Justin Ruggiano in right field. The team could also give Chris Coghlan another look. He’s hitting .333/.458/.487 in his last 10 games for Triple-A New Orleans.
The National League has announced that 19-year-old Bryce Harper will replace Stanton on the NL roster in the All-Star Game in Kansas City. Assuming Ryan Braun is still out, Jay Bruce would seem to be the obvious choice to step into Stanton’s Home Run Derby spot.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)