Jul 7, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
Manager Ozzie Guillen said he expected Stanton to miss 4-6 weeks, but players have occasionally returned from such surgeries after two or three weeks. The Marlins will have a better idea about Stanton’s timetable following the procedure.
Stanton’s loss is a big one for Miami, but the team is expected to get Emilio Bonifacio back after the All-Star break. His return to center field will allow the team to put the surprisingly productive Justin Ruggiano in right field. The team could also give Chris Coghlan another look. He’s hitting .333/.458/.487 in his last 10 games for Triple-A New Orleans.
The National League has announced that 19-year-old Bryce Harper will replace Stanton on the NL roster in the All-Star Game in Kansas City. Assuming Ryan Braun is still out, Jay Bruce would seem to be the obvious choice to step into Stanton’s Home Run Derby spot.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)