Jul 7, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
Hunter Pence bowled over third-base coach Juan Samuel on his way to scoring the Phillies’ first run Saturday night against the Braves.
Pence was on second with one out in the second when Juan Pierre hit a double to right. Apparently stunned by the rare extra-base hit from Pierre, Samuel found himself too close to the third-base line as Pence made a wide turn around the bag and ended up head over heels afterwards.
This is typically the part of the entry in which I’d provide a screen grab, but since it’s FOX time, the game isn’t available online.
Unlike the rest of the Phillies, Samuel wasn’t interested in laughing it off afterwards. In fact, he appeared pretty upset. Still, it was his own fault that he got put on his butt. Fortunately, Pence was able to score without incident after running through him.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 119
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 78
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (116)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)