Jul 7, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news for the Rangers, as Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest reports that Hamilton is in the lineup as the designated hitter for tonight’s game.
9:45 AM ET: Josh Hamilton left last night’s game against the Twins with lower back spasms. He tweaked his back in the top of the fifth inning after he made an error while trying to track down a fly ball near the warning track in left field. Leonys Martin then pinch-hit for him in the bottom-half of the inning.
Hamilton told MLB.com’s Christian Corona after the game that he had “never felt anything like it before,” but that he had already noticed some improvement. While he felt confident the back issue wouldn’t force him to miss next week’s All-Star Game, his status for Saturday isn’t yet known.
“I’ll know when I wake up tomorrow morning,” Hamilton said. “It still hurts. It’s not as bad. After I iced it, it actually felt worse, but then it thaws out and it feels better. It’s a good sign.”
Hamilton, the leading vote-getter for the All-Star Game, is batting just .222 with five homers and a 37/14 K/BB ratio in 30 games dating back to the start of June. However, thanks to his absurdly hot start, he still leads the American League in RBI, OPS and slugging percentage.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)