Jul 7, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
After the game, Teixeira told reporters that the triple was especially satisfying because he managed to get the best of a long-time nemesis.
“Game-winning hits always feel good,” he said, “but that one definitely felt good.”
“He doesn’t have too many friends in the game,” said Teixeira, who has called out Padilla before for throwing at batters’ heads. “Guy throws at people. Fact of the matter, I’m not saying anything that’s news.”
“In the NFL, he’d probably be suspended by (commissioner) Roger Goodell eight games or a whole season,” Teixeira said. “There’s only one guy in baseball. No one else does this. That’s the thing that is unbelievable to me.”
Padilla’s reputation as a headhunter is well-documented, as he has drawn criticism in the past for putting his teammates at risk for retaliation.
This particular feud stems back to June 9, 2005 when Teixeira was with the Rangers and Padilla was pitching for the Phillies. Teixeira homered in his first two at-bats against Padilla before getting plunked. He was hitless over his last eight at-bats against Padilla before last night’s triple, with three walks and two other hit-by-pitches sprinkled in.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)