Jul 7, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
After the game, Teixeira told reporters that the triple was especially satisfying because he managed to get the best of a long-time nemesis.
“Game-winning hits always feel good,” he said, “but that one definitely felt good.”
“He doesn’t have too many friends in the game,” said Teixeira, who has called out Padilla before for throwing at batters’ heads. “Guy throws at people. Fact of the matter, I’m not saying anything that’s news.”
“In the NFL, he’d probably be suspended by (commissioner) Roger Goodell eight games or a whole season,” Teixeira said. “There’s only one guy in baseball. No one else does this. That’s the thing that is unbelievable to me.”
Padilla’s reputation as a headhunter is well-documented, as he has drawn criticism in the past for putting his teammates at risk for retaliation.
This particular feud stems back to June 9, 2005 when Teixeira was with the Rangers and Padilla was pitching for the Phillies. Teixeira homered in his first two at-bats against Padilla before getting plunked. He was hitless over his last eight at-bats against Padilla before last night’s triple, with three walks and two other hit-by-pitches sprinkled in.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)