Jul 7, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
We learned earlier this week that the Orioles are “going hard” after Brewers’ right-hander Zack Greinke, but it appears Dan Duquette has some other targets in mind as he attempts to upgrade the starting rotation.
According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, the Orioles have called the Astros to inquire about the availability of Wandy Rodriguez. Kubatko notes that Duquette is “talking to lots of teams,” so this could be a matter of due diligence, but Rodriguez is a logical name to pop up over the next couple of weeks.
Rodriguez has a 3.54 ERA through 17 starts with the Astros this season. While the 33-year-old southpaw has averaged a career-best 1.9 BB/9, his strikeout rate (5.8 K/9) is the lowest since his rookie season in 2005 and his and swinging strike rate (7.1 percent) is at a career-low level.
Rodriguez is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of this season and $13 million in 2013 while his contract includes a $13 million vesting option for 2014. The vesting option becomes a player option in the event of a trade, so that could complicate the ability of Astros GM Jeff Lunhow to find a suitor.
Coming into today’s action, Orioles starters rank 27th in the majors with a 4.73 ERA. While offseason acquisitions Jason Hammel and Wei-Yin Chen have been pleasant surprises, the rest of the rotation has been pretty shaky.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)