Jul 7, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
We learned earlier this week that the Orioles are “going hard” after Brewers’ right-hander Zack Greinke, but it appears Dan Duquette has some other targets in mind as he attempts to upgrade the starting rotation.
According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, the Orioles have called the Astros to inquire about the availability of Wandy Rodriguez. Kubatko notes that Duquette is “talking to lots of teams,” so this could be a matter of due diligence, but Rodriguez is a logical name to pop up over the next couple of weeks.
Rodriguez has a 3.54 ERA through 17 starts with the Astros this season. While the 33-year-old southpaw has averaged a career-best 1.9 BB/9, his strikeout rate (5.8 K/9) is the lowest since his rookie season in 2005 and his and swinging strike rate (7.1 percent) is at a career-low level.
Rodriguez is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of this season and $13 million in 2013 while his contract includes a $13 million vesting option for 2014. The vesting option becomes a player option in the event of a trade, so that could complicate the ability of Astros GM Jeff Lunhow to find a suitor.
Coming into today’s action, Orioles starters rank 27th in the majors with a 4.73 ERA. While offseason acquisitions Jason Hammel and Wei-Yin Chen have been pleasant surprises, the rest of the rotation has been pretty shaky.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)