Jul 7, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
We learned earlier this week that the Orioles are “going hard” after Brewers’ right-hander Zack Greinke, but it appears Dan Duquette has some other targets in mind as he attempts to upgrade the starting rotation.
According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, the Orioles have called the Astros to inquire about the availability of Wandy Rodriguez. Kubatko notes that Duquette is “talking to lots of teams,” so this could be a matter of due diligence, but Rodriguez is a logical name to pop up over the next couple of weeks.
Rodriguez has a 3.54 ERA through 17 starts with the Astros this season. While the 33-year-old southpaw has averaged a career-best 1.9 BB/9, his strikeout rate (5.8 K/9) is the lowest since his rookie season in 2005 and his and swinging strike rate (7.1 percent) is at a career-low level.
Rodriguez is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of this season and $13 million in 2013 while his contract includes a $13 million vesting option for 2014. The vesting option becomes a player option in the event of a trade, so that could complicate the ability of Astros GM Jeff Lunhow to find a suitor.
Coming into today’s action, Orioles starters rank 27th in the majors with a 4.73 ERA. While offseason acquisitions Jason Hammel and Wei-Yin Chen have been pleasant surprises, the rest of the rotation has been pretty shaky.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)