Jul 7, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Zack Greinke was ejected in the bottom of the first inning against the Astros this afternoon for spiking a ball in the dirt following a close call at first base.
Greinke gave up a leadoff triple to Jordan Schafer before Jose Altuve hit a chipper to Corey Hart at first base. Greinke ran over to the first base bag to catch the throw from Hart, but Altuve was ruled safe on a very close play. Greinke didn’t argue the call, but took out his frustrations by slamming the ball into the ground. He was then given the boot by first base umpire Sam Holbrook. You don’t see that very often.
Brian McTaggart of MLB.com passes along word that that Greinke was saying, “I’m mad at myself. I’m mad at myself,” so it appears he was taking his frustrations out on himself for losing the footrace. However, Holbrook evidently took it personally. Trigger-happy, much? Brewers manager Ron Roenicke emerged from the dugout to defend his starting pitcher, but he was also ejected from the game. Livan Hernandez is now pitching in relief.
Any scouts who came to see Greinke today are likely bummed, but it’s not a complete lost cause. Wandy Rodriguez, another popular trade target, is pitching for the Astros.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 6
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 31
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 109
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (110)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)