Jul 8, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
As expected the Cubs activated Ryan Dempster from the disabled list for today’s start, and to make room for his return they dropped Chris Volstad from the rotation and optioned him back to Triple-A.
Volstad was recalled from the minors Tuesday, got knocked around by the Braves for six runs in 4.1 innings, and heads back to Iowa with a hideous 7.94 ERA in nine starts overall this season.
In fact, Volstad hasn’t recorded a win in the majors for nearly an entire calendar year–July 10, 2011–during which time he’s 0-12 with a 5.68 ERA in 20 starts for the Cubs and Marlins. Prior to that year-long winless stretch Volstad had a 32-34 record and 4.68 ERA in 91 career starts.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 110
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)