Jul 8, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
It only happens once a decade or so, but Derek Jeter dropped a pop up in the first inning Sunday night, giving the Red Sox an early run.
It couldn’t have been a more routine play for Jeter, and he’s always been one of the game’s best shortstops when it comes to handling flyballs. Typically, Alex Rodriguez defers to him on anything in the air. Starting pitcher Ivan Nova was already halfway to the dugout when Jeter dropped it, and his eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw the ball hit the ground.
Unfortunately, there’s no clip yet, since it’s an ESPN national game.
The error was Jeter’s eighth of the year.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 10
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 66
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 72
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)