Jul 8, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
It only happens once a decade or so, but Derek Jeter dropped a pop up in the first inning Sunday night, giving the Red Sox an early run.
It couldn’t have been a more routine play for Jeter, and he’s always been one of the game’s best shortstops when it comes to handling flyballs. Typically, Alex Rodriguez defers to him on anything in the air. Starting pitcher Ivan Nova was already halfway to the dugout when Jeter dropped it, and his eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw the ball hit the ground.
Unfortunately, there’s no clip yet, since it’s an ESPN national game.
The error was Jeter’s eighth of the year.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 3
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 89
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (89)