Jul 8, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
It only happens once a decade or so, but Derek Jeter dropped a pop up in the first inning Sunday night, giving the Red Sox an early run.
It couldn’t have been a more routine play for Jeter, and he’s always been one of the game’s best shortstops when it comes to handling flyballs. Typically, Alex Rodriguez defers to him on anything in the air. Starting pitcher Ivan Nova was already halfway to the dugout when Jeter dropped it, and his eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw the ball hit the ground.
Unfortunately, there’s no clip yet, since it’s an ESPN national game.
The error was Jeter’s eighth of the year.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)