Jul 8, 2012, 9:56 PM EST
It only happens once a decade or so, but Derek Jeter dropped a pop up in the first inning Sunday night, giving the Red Sox an early run.
It couldn’t have been a more routine play for Jeter, and he’s always been one of the game’s best shortstops when it comes to handling flyballs. Typically, Alex Rodriguez defers to him on anything in the air. Starting pitcher Ivan Nova was already halfway to the dugout when Jeter dropped it, and his eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw the ball hit the ground.
Unfortunately, there’s no clip yet, since it’s an ESPN national game.
The error was Jeter’s eighth of the year.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)