Jul 8, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
Dustin Pedroia was placed on the disabled list with a hyperextended right thumb and according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com the former MVP received second and third opinions from doctors who confirmed the initial diagnosis.
Pedroia is currently wearing a cast on his hand, but made a big deal about what a quick healer he’s always been and told reporters he expects to be back in the Red Sox’s lineup in “a few weeks.”
Of course, prior to suffering the new thumb injury Pedroia had been playing through a partially torn muscle in the same thumb since May and his production declined significantly, so he may want to take a little extra time off to make sure he’s healed before returning at less than full strength again.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 83
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 39
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 37
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)