Jul 8, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
Dustin Pedroia was placed on the disabled list with a hyperextended right thumb and according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com the former MVP received second and third opinions from doctors who confirmed the initial diagnosis.
Pedroia is currently wearing a cast on his hand, but made a big deal about what a quick healer he’s always been and told reporters he expects to be back in the Red Sox’s lineup in “a few weeks.”
Of course, prior to suffering the new thumb injury Pedroia had been playing through a partially torn muscle in the same thumb since May and his production declined significantly, so he may want to take a little extra time off to make sure he’s healed before returning at less than full strength again.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45