Jul 8, 2012, 11:07 AM EST
Dustin Pedroia was placed on the disabled list with a hyperextended right thumb and according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com the former MVP received second and third opinions from doctors who confirmed the initial diagnosis.
Pedroia is currently wearing a cast on his hand, but made a big deal about what a quick healer he’s always been and told reporters he expects to be back in the Red Sox’s lineup in “a few weeks.”
Of course, prior to suffering the new thumb injury Pedroia had been playing through a partially torn muscle in the same thumb since May and his production declined significantly, so he may want to take a little extra time off to make sure he’s healed before returning at less than full strength again.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40