Jul 8, 2012, 11:07 AM EST
Dustin Pedroia was placed on the disabled list with a hyperextended right thumb and according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com the former MVP received second and third opinions from doctors who confirmed the initial diagnosis.
Pedroia is currently wearing a cast on his hand, but made a big deal about what a quick healer he’s always been and told reporters he expects to be back in the Red Sox’s lineup in “a few weeks.”
Of course, prior to suffering the new thumb injury Pedroia had been playing through a partially torn muscle in the same thumb since May and his production declined significantly, so he may want to take a little extra time off to make sure he’s healed before returning at less than full strength again.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 54
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)