Instant Karma: Fan smacked by foul ball while messing with his phone

Jul 8, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT

This happened Friday evening, so I suppose it’s fair to say that the fan who was hit by this foul ball at the Reds-Padres game couldn’t be bothered to read that thing we posted about lousy wireless service at ballgames. If he had, he would have kept his phone in his pocket and wouldn’t have a bruise on his shoulder:

Smart phones? More like dumb phones, amirite? Anyone?  Is this thing on?

1. gloccamorra - Jul 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM

He probably heard that wi-fi was installed at Petco in the off-season and wanted to try it. Now they’ll have to add another disclaimer on the back of the ticket.

2. digitaldonnie - Jul 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I was almost impaled at the Charlotte Knights game on the 4th via a broken bat. Messing on my phone and didn’t see it coming. Nor did the folks seated on either side of me warn of the incoming projectile.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Don’t blame them for you not paying attention.

3. dawgpoundmember - Jul 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Ehh, Craig. I went to a triple-A game last week and I used my smart phone to check more detailed stats on the players and other related stuff. But, the kid behind me with head phones on and an I-pod in hand that never lifted his head deserved to get hit with a foul ball.

4. bigleagues - Jul 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

5. rythestunner - Jul 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Why is the lack of wireless service at the stadium relevant here? I don’t know if you realize this, but phones don’t NEED wireless Internet service to work. Smartphones have the option of tapping wireless Internet IF it’s available in order to cut down on data usage, but they use cell phone towers just like any other phone does.

• rythestunner - Jul 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

So many dislikes, as if people disagree with my assessment on wireless requirements.

• galewisli - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

The article said wireless service, NOT wifi service. As in, the wireless service in my building is awful, thankfully I have wifi. If you had bothered to read the linked article, you would have seen he was referring to carrier networks (you know, the ones operated by Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint), not wifi.

• CJ - Jul 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

wireless service =/= wifi.

People don’t disagree with your assessment on wireless requirements. They disagree with your reading comprehension.

6. stairwayto7 - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM