Pedro Ciriaco saves Boston’s bacon in 9-5 win

Jul 8, 2012, 12:45 AM EDT

Pedro Ciriaco Getty Images

Pedro Ciriaco is so good he even collects hits after the game ends.

Making his Red Sox debut Saturday, Ciriaco went 4-for-5 with four RBI in Boston’s 9-5 win over the Yankees in the second game of a doubleheader. His performance caused the Fenway faithful to bring back the “Pedro” chant for the first time since Martinez left after the 2004 season.

The 26-year-old Ciriaco also started the first game today, but since he went 0-for-4 in that one, I’m choosing to gloss over that fact.

Ciriaco actually ended the game with three hits and three RBI, but his seventh inning grounder to third was changed from an error to a hit after the game. Even with the change, the Yankees still committed four errors in the loss.

I wrote about Ciriaco this spring, as he played well enough to make the Red Sox, but the decision to carry five outfielders cost him a roster spot. Currently replacing Dustin Pedroia, he has a chance to stick over Brent Lillibridge once the Red Sox start making some tough roster decisions after the break. He’s not all that much of a hitter, but he’s a better middle infielder than Lillibridge and he’d be a far better pinch-running option late in games than Boston’s other bench players.

Thanks to Ciriaco, the Red Sox will at least avoid what would have been a humiliating four-game sweep at Fenway. They’ll have a chance to split the series if Jon Lester can outduel Ivan Nova in Sunday night’s finale.

1. randygnyc - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I have nothing much to say regarding the 2nd game the Yankees played, outside of that they embarrassed themselves.

With that said, I do want to mention that I think it’s a disgrace that the Yankees are broadcast nationally 2 days in a row. MLB pushes buck and Mcgarver on Yankees fans and pretends that they’re unbiased douchebags. Espn isnt any better, although the addition of Tito adds some class to their douchebags.

Here’s a message to Bud Selig. We don’t want to listen to your scumbag hacks on national broadcasts, especially for the post season. I hope Fox Sports doesn’t get the new contract just because of these 2 assholes.

And, Mcgarver should be fired for the ignorant way he spoke about the Locks of Love foundation last night.

• badintent - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Get over your beer sigger bums ! They won’t make the wildcard !Your girls needed the Yankees to make 4 errors to give you a chance to win one game against them. Pathetic.Bud is a billionaire, are you.? The man knows what he’s doing, heck he help Man Ram into a great player with roids( looking the other way ) until Manny got out of town ( a real class act, that Boston POS) Glad to see The Youk is smashing hits every game for the Right Sox and no Manny to fight him in the dougout no more ! The circus.left town , take your Beer clowns and keep listening to Manger John on TV if you don’t like McCaver, Nice to hear an Ex-Redsox alcoholic yapping.Forget about it !

• Ari Collins - Jul 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

It would take a good while to note the many stupid, ignorant things in this comment, but I’ll just stick to the basic premise: randy is a Yankee fan, not a Sox fan.

• 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I gave Randy a thumbs-down on principle. And I’ve decided to give McCarver another chance. He can’t be that bad if Randy hates him this much.

• pinkfloydprism - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Turn off the volume and turn on the radio. Problem solved.

• dan1111 - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM

And here I thought you were going to say that the Yankees get too much attention compared to other teams. But how foolish of me–the real problem with them being broadcast nationally twice in a row is that the announcers are of a standard not worthy of Yankee fans.

• Ari Collins - Jul 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM

To be fair, randy’s right. The Yankees’ TV broadcasters are way better than Fox. It’s the Yankees’ radio guys who are terrible.

2. walterwhite1976 - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:17 AM

He’s the spark plug the Sox needed. He and Gomez were just what Dr. Valentine needed to avoid more negative talk for a day. Something positive for once!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Pedro is probably a one-game wonder. I hope they just salvage a split and RS Nation can be thankful this AAA team is above .500 at this point in the season.

3. townballblog - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Call me crazy but it can work…

Ortiz: good to know you, you’ll be missed – bring up Lavarnway.

Adrian Gonzalez: it was nice to meet you – Mauro Gomez can play folks, just look at his minors numbers. He’s just never been given the chance (much like Juan Francisco in Atlanta).

Beckett: wish you nothing but the best.

Trade all of them THIS year, get some good young pitchers back and the Red Sox will be all set. They might even be competitive this year without those three guys.

Like Ortiz said “it used to he fun” to play in Boston. Well, it’s used to be awesome to cheer for a fun team. The Red Sox, personality-wise, are lifeless.

Boston can sell away right now and still be competitive. I am willing to be my salary on that.

• pinkfloydprism - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Not many teams would be able to take Adrian. Plus, stick with him and dump Crawford.

• dan1111 - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Trading Gonzalez would be hard, but Crawford would be impossible. He has a huge contract too, remember. It’s better to keep him and hope he rebounds.

As for the idea, it doesn’t make much sense. No one is going to trade a good young pitcher who can help this year for Beckett. In theory, they might get a good return for Gonzalez, but that’s because he’s a superstar who happens to be having a down year. They are better off just keeping him and hoping he rebounds. I could see them trading Ortiz, but only if they fall out of contention.

• pinkfloydprism - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I agree, but I can dream, right? :)

And yeah, they could get some return for Adrian, but I do not see them doing a move with him. It could happen though.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Adrian has had a power outage for half of a season and we’re already trading him? That’s pathetic. Give the guy some time, he has a swing made for Fenway and is just a solid player that any team would be dying to have.

P.S. does anybody else think of this anytime they here the word ‘Gonzo’?

• townballblog - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Not at all, I wouldn’t want to get rid of Adrian because he is having an off year but because he is due $21M a year until the end of 2018.

• Ari Collins - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Glad you aren’t the GM.

• townballblog - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Fair enough.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

You want to trade a guy who is a career .292/.371/.506 (136 OPS+) hitter in the majors who moved from one of the toughest hitters parks to a great hitters park, for a guy who has hit .281/.331/483 in 784 MiLB games with 198 walks to 780 strikeouts?

You are crazy

• townballblog - Jul 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It was like 2AM when I wrote that so I didn’t do a good job explaining.

No, it wouldn’t be trading for him, he’s already in the team (Gomez is). I’m saying trade Adrian, Ortiz, and Bekett for Pitchers. And I’m not saying get rid of Adrian because he is having a bad year. I 100% think he will be ridiculously good in the second half and that is why he is so valued.

Also:

Ortiz age 21-27: .271/.353/.491/.844
        Adrian age 21-27: .281/.362/.506/.869
        Gomez: 21-27: .281/.333/.483/.815

The stats for Gomez include 34 games in 2004 with .246/.301/.373/.674, otherwise the stats might be a tiny little bit better.

Also, in that same range Adrian is K’s once every 4.7 at-bats, Ortiz is 4.5, Gomez is 3.8 – to say he struck out 780 times is taking it out of context.

He’s also 2.5 years younger than Adrian and 9 years younger than Ortiz and oh yeah, not making 14.5 or 21 million dollars.

4. chap0904 - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Why do fans ALWAYS have to watch the Yankees whether MLB TV, ESPN or FOX. Aren’t there 29 other teams?

• woodyqq2 - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

NO there is only one team in New York and the world

• 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM

One of the wonders of MLB TV (as opposed to ESPN and FOX) is that they DO show the other teams, and plenty. (And I say this as a Red Sox fan who doesn’t really mind that the Red Sox are on national TV often.) How often do they broadcast Saturday afternoon games, anyway? Yesterday was a bonus.

I’m guessing some nerd somewhere has compiled the stats, but it sure feels like ESPN shows the Yankees all the time, and MLB TV shows the best of what’s left. Seems like the Rangers are on all the time.

• JustMeMike - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

MLBTV doesn’t broadcast any games when the Saturday Baseball America game is on. Fox has the exclusive because they paid millions for it. So that meant no other options for those who wanted to watch a Saturday Night baseball game and have some choices.

But yesterday was the last Saturday Night game for Fox. After the ASG, Fox goes back to their Saturday afternoon game. Leaving MLBTV open to broadcasting all the remaining Saturday night games

5. humanexcrement - Jul 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Fuck you, Jobu, I do it myself.

6. titknocker - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Any word on whether or not Jesus Christ is helping him hit curve balls?

7. pisano - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Ciriaco never becomes a hero if not for bush league Yankee errors. I was wondering if Darnell McDonald was a double agent? he’ll be gone after this series, no wonder the Sox cut him.

8. randygnyc - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

MLB.tv is fine, but it doesn’t work on Saturday afternoons or sunday evenings. To complicate matters, I spend my summer months in Minnesota. I watch all of my Yankee games on slingbox. I have synched my computer screen (sling box) to one of my apple devices using the MLB radio app in the past, (a lot actually), but as soon as either buffer, they are out of synch again. Pain in the ass.

The easy fix is, don’t broadcast the yankees nationally, ever. During the playoffs, dedicate two channels, each with the teams seasonal broadcasters. Forget about trying for the iconic, WS, walk off call, rather, let the fans be comfortable dancing with the girl that brought them to the dance.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act