Jul 8, 2012, 12:45 AM EDT
Pedro Ciriaco is so good he even collects hits after the game ends.
Making his Red Sox debut Saturday, Ciriaco went 4-for-5 with four RBI in Boston’s 9-5 win over the Yankees in the second game of a doubleheader. His performance caused the Fenway faithful to bring back the “Pedro” chant for the first time since Martinez left after the 2004 season.
The 26-year-old Ciriaco also started the first game today, but since he went 0-for-4 in that one, I’m choosing to gloss over that fact.
Ciriaco actually ended the game with three hits and three RBI, but his seventh inning grounder to third was changed from an error to a hit after the game. Even with the change, the Yankees still committed four errors in the loss.
I wrote about Ciriaco this spring, as he played well enough to make the Red Sox, but the decision to carry five outfielders cost him a roster spot. Currently replacing Dustin Pedroia, he has a chance to stick over Brent Lillibridge once the Red Sox start making some tough roster decisions after the break. He’s not all that much of a hitter, but he’s a better middle infielder than Lillibridge and he’d be a far better pinch-running option late in games than Boston’s other bench players.
Thanks to Ciriaco, the Red Sox will at least avoid what would have been a humiliating four-game sweep at Fenway. They’ll have a chance to split the series if Jon Lester can outduel Ivan Nova in Sunday night’s finale.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)