Jul 8, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The earlier incarnation of this story referring to Shane Victorino getting mad at being placed seventh in the order and then being scratched by Charlie Manuel is, as they say, no longer operative.
That report came from Rob Parent, the sports editor of the Delco Times. After it came out, Charlie Manuel denied it, saying that Victorino was “down on himself” because of poor recent play and that Manuel scratched him for that reason. No other Philly writer corroborated Parent’s tweet. Parent has since backtracked on that tweet, calling it “dumb speculation” on his part.
3:25 PM: Shane Victorino was scratched from today’s lineup. But it was apparently not because of some nagging injury or something:
Looks like Victorino is ticked and that’s why he’s scratched. Walked into clubhouse, soon saw he was No. 7 in lineup, walked out wordlessly.
— Rob Parent (@ReluctantSE) July 8, 2012
Then, the guy who replaced him in the lineup today, Jason Pridie, hit a two-run homer in his first at bat and doubled in a run with his second. Given how badly Victorino has struggled lately, and how loud the rumblings of his impending trade are becoming, it was probably a bad day for him to be a baby about where he hits in the lineup.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)