Jul 8, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The earlier incarnation of this story referring to Shane Victorino getting mad at being placed seventh in the order and then being scratched by Charlie Manuel is, as they say, no longer operative.
That report came from Rob Parent, the sports editor of the Delco Times. After it came out, Charlie Manuel denied it, saying that Victorino was “down on himself” because of poor recent play and that Manuel scratched him for that reason. No other Philly writer corroborated Parent’s tweet. Parent has since backtracked on that tweet, calling it “dumb speculation” on his part.
3:25 PM: Shane Victorino was scratched from today’s lineup. But it was apparently not because of some nagging injury or something:
Looks like Victorino is ticked and that’s why he’s scratched. Walked into clubhouse, soon saw he was No. 7 in lineup, walked out wordlessly.
— Rob Parent (@ReluctantSE) July 8, 2012
Then, the guy who replaced him in the lineup today, Jason Pridie, hit a two-run homer in his first at bat and doubled in a run with his second. Given how badly Victorino has struggled lately, and how loud the rumblings of his impending trade are becoming, it was probably a bad day for him to be a baby about where he hits in the lineup.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 16
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)