Jul 8, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The earlier incarnation of this story referring to Shane Victorino getting mad at being placed seventh in the order and then being scratched by Charlie Manuel is, as they say, no longer operative.
That report came from Rob Parent, the sports editor of the Delco Times. After it came out, Charlie Manuel denied it, saying that Victorino was “down on himself” because of poor recent play and that Manuel scratched him for that reason. No other Philly writer corroborated Parent’s tweet. Parent has since backtracked on that tweet, calling it “dumb speculation” on his part.
3:25 PM: Shane Victorino was scratched from today’s lineup. But it was apparently not because of some nagging injury or something:
Looks like Victorino is ticked and that’s why he’s scratched. Walked into clubhouse, soon saw he was No. 7 in lineup, walked out wordlessly.
— Rob Parent (@ReluctantSE) July 8, 2012
Then, the guy who replaced him in the lineup today, Jason Pridie, hit a two-run homer in his first at bat and doubled in a run with his second. Given how badly Victorino has struggled lately, and how loud the rumblings of his impending trade are becoming, it was probably a bad day for him to be a baby about where he hits in the lineup.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 4
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?