Jul 8, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The earlier incarnation of this story referring to Shane Victorino getting mad at being placed seventh in the order and then being scratched by Charlie Manuel is, as they say, no longer operative.
That report came from Rob Parent, the sports editor of the Delco Times. After it came out, Charlie Manuel denied it, saying that Victorino was “down on himself” because of poor recent play and that Manuel scratched him for that reason. No other Philly writer corroborated Parent’s tweet. Parent has since backtracked on that tweet, calling it “dumb speculation” on his part.
3:25 PM: Shane Victorino was scratched from today’s lineup. But it was apparently not because of some nagging injury or something:
Looks like Victorino is ticked and that’s why he’s scratched. Walked into clubhouse, soon saw he was No. 7 in lineup, walked out wordlessly.
— Rob Parent (@ReluctantSE) July 8, 2012
Then, the guy who replaced him in the lineup today, Jason Pridie, hit a two-run homer in his first at bat and doubled in a run with his second. Given how badly Victorino has struggled lately, and how loud the rumblings of his impending trade are becoming, it was probably a bad day for him to be a baby about where he hits in the lineup.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)