Jul 8, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The earlier incarnation of this story referring to Shane Victorino getting mad at being placed seventh in the order and then being scratched by Charlie Manuel is, as they say, no longer operative.
That report came from Rob Parent, the sports editor of the Delco Times. After it came out, Charlie Manuel denied it, saying that Victorino was “down on himself” because of poor recent play and that Manuel scratched him for that reason. No other Philly writer corroborated Parent’s tweet. Parent has since backtracked on that tweet, calling it “dumb speculation” on his part.
3:25 PM: Shane Victorino was scratched from today’s lineup. But it was apparently not because of some nagging injury or something:
Looks like Victorino is ticked and that’s why he’s scratched. Walked into clubhouse, soon saw he was No. 7 in lineup, walked out wordlessly.
— Rob Parent (@ReluctantSE) July 8, 2012
Then, the guy who replaced him in the lineup today, Jason Pridie, hit a two-run homer in his first at bat and doubled in a run with his second. Given how badly Victorino has struggled lately, and how loud the rumblings of his impending trade are becoming, it was probably a bad day for him to be a baby about where he hits in the lineup.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 6
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 204
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (212)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)