Jul 8, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
Vicente Padilla fired back at Mark Teixeira after Saturday’s Yankees-Red Sox doublelehader, saying his former Rangers teammate is “scared to face me” and claiming “he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Teixeira said Friday that Padilla “doesn’t have too many friends in the game” and suggested that he be suspended for his head-hunting.
Padilla responded in a Spanish-language interview on NESN:
“The problem is he talks about all the wrong things that others have done, but the things he’s done — against the Latinos [on the Rangers] — he doesn’t open his mouth about,” Padilla said. “He once threatened me and said he was going to hit me with a bat, and that’s when we were playing on the same team.
“And then, he also had problems with Frank Francisco, our closer back then. But he doesn’t talk about that, does he? Then, of course, he goes on and makes those comments about me.”
It sounds like Padilla has some legitimate beefs with Teixeira, but he’s not going into detail here. Plus, whatever the beef, his closing comments won’t go over well.
“In this sport, as competitive ball players, we get pretty fired up,” Padilla said. “So I think, maybe, [Teixeira] picked the wrong profession. I think he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Just a guess here, but Padilla probably doesn’t watch a lot of women’s sports.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 41
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)