Jul 8, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Vicente Padilla fired back at Mark Teixeira after Saturday’s Yankees-Red Sox doublelehader, saying his former Rangers teammate is “scared to face me” and claiming “he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Teixeira said Friday that Padilla “doesn’t have too many friends in the game” and suggested that he be suspended for his head-hunting.
Padilla responded in a Spanish-language interview on NESN:
“The problem is he talks about all the wrong things that others have done, but the things he’s done — against the Latinos [on the Rangers] — he doesn’t open his mouth about,” Padilla said. “He once threatened me and said he was going to hit me with a bat, and that’s when we were playing on the same team.
“And then, he also had problems with Frank Francisco, our closer back then. But he doesn’t talk about that, does he? Then, of course, he goes on and makes those comments about me.”
It sounds like Padilla has some legitimate beefs with Teixeira, but he’s not going into detail here. Plus, whatever the beef, his closing comments won’t go over well.
“In this sport, as competitive ball players, we get pretty fired up,” Padilla said. “So I think, maybe, [Teixeira] picked the wrong profession. I think he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Just a guess here, but Padilla probably doesn’t watch a lot of women’s sports.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)