Jul 8, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Vicente Padilla fired back at Mark Teixeira after Saturday’s Yankees-Red Sox doublelehader, saying his former Rangers teammate is “scared to face me” and claiming “he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Teixeira said Friday that Padilla “doesn’t have too many friends in the game” and suggested that he be suspended for his head-hunting.
Padilla responded in a Spanish-language interview on NESN:
“The problem is he talks about all the wrong things that others have done, but the things he’s done — against the Latinos [on the Rangers] — he doesn’t open his mouth about,” Padilla said. “He once threatened me and said he was going to hit me with a bat, and that’s when we were playing on the same team.
“And then, he also had problems with Frank Francisco, our closer back then. But he doesn’t talk about that, does he? Then, of course, he goes on and makes those comments about me.”
It sounds like Padilla has some legitimate beefs with Teixeira, but he’s not going into detail here. Plus, whatever the beef, his closing comments won’t go over well.
“In this sport, as competitive ball players, we get pretty fired up,” Padilla said. “So I think, maybe, [Teixeira] picked the wrong profession. I think he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Just a guess here, but Padilla probably doesn’t watch a lot of women’s sports.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (168)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)