Jul 8, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
Vicente Padilla fired back at Mark Teixeira after Saturday’s Yankees-Red Sox doublelehader, saying his former Rangers teammate is “scared to face me” and claiming “he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Teixeira said Friday that Padilla “doesn’t have too many friends in the game” and suggested that he be suspended for his head-hunting.
Padilla responded in a Spanish-language interview on NESN:
“The problem is he talks about all the wrong things that others have done, but the things he’s done — against the Latinos [on the Rangers] — he doesn’t open his mouth about,” Padilla said. “He once threatened me and said he was going to hit me with a bat, and that’s when we were playing on the same team.
“And then, he also had problems with Frank Francisco, our closer back then. But he doesn’t talk about that, does he? Then, of course, he goes on and makes those comments about me.”
It sounds like Padilla has some legitimate beefs with Teixeira, but he’s not going into detail here. Plus, whatever the beef, his closing comments won’t go over well.
“In this sport, as competitive ball players, we get pretty fired up,” Padilla said. “So I think, maybe, [Teixeira] picked the wrong profession. I think he’d be better off playing a women’s sport.”
Just a guess here, but Padilla probably doesn’t watch a lot of women’s sports.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)