Jul 8, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Zack Greinke was ejected from yesterday’s game after throwing just four pitches when first base umpire Sam Holbrook tossed him for slamming the ball to the ground when he couldn’t beat Jose Altuve to the bag on a fielding play.
Holbrook apparently thought Greinke was showing him up, but it was pretty apparent to just about everyone else that Greinke was actually just showing anger at himself for not getting the out. Greinke could be seen saying “I’m mad at myself” over and over again following the ejection, and just for good measure the trigger-happy Holbrook compounded his mistake by also ejecting Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Milwaukee went on to lose the game, but at least Greinke will be able to make another start before the All-Star break. He’ll take the mound this afternoon against the Astros for the first-half finale, bumping scheduled starter Marco Estrada into the bullpen.
And guess who’s behind the plate calling balls and strikes today? Sam Holbrook.
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)