Jul 8, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Zack Greinke was ejected from yesterday’s game after throwing just four pitches when first base umpire Sam Holbrook tossed him for slamming the ball to the ground when he couldn’t beat Jose Altuve to the bag on a fielding play.
Holbrook apparently thought Greinke was showing him up, but it was pretty apparent to just about everyone else that Greinke was actually just showing anger at himself for not getting the out. Greinke could be seen saying “I’m mad at myself” over and over again following the ejection, and just for good measure the trigger-happy Holbrook compounded his mistake by also ejecting Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Milwaukee went on to lose the game, but at least Greinke will be able to make another start before the All-Star break. He’ll take the mound this afternoon against the Astros for the first-half finale, bumping scheduled starter Marco Estrada into the bullpen.
And guess who’s behind the plate calling balls and strikes today? Sam Holbrook.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)