Jul 8, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Zack Greinke was ejected from yesterday’s game after throwing just four pitches when first base umpire Sam Holbrook tossed him for slamming the ball to the ground when he couldn’t beat Jose Altuve to the bag on a fielding play.
Holbrook apparently thought Greinke was showing him up, but it was pretty apparent to just about everyone else that Greinke was actually just showing anger at himself for not getting the out. Greinke could be seen saying “I’m mad at myself” over and over again following the ejection, and just for good measure the trigger-happy Holbrook compounded his mistake by also ejecting Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Milwaukee went on to lose the game, but at least Greinke will be able to make another start before the All-Star break. He’ll take the mound this afternoon against the Astros for the first-half finale, bumping scheduled starter Marco Estrada into the bullpen.
And guess who’s behind the plate calling balls and strikes today? Sam Holbrook.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11