Jul 8, 2012, 11:49 AM EST
Zack Greinke was ejected from yesterday’s game after throwing just four pitches when first base umpire Sam Holbrook tossed him for slamming the ball to the ground when he couldn’t beat Jose Altuve to the bag on a fielding play.
Holbrook apparently thought Greinke was showing him up, but it was pretty apparent to just about everyone else that Greinke was actually just showing anger at himself for not getting the out. Greinke could be seen saying “I’m mad at myself” over and over again following the ejection, and just for good measure the trigger-happy Holbrook compounded his mistake by also ejecting Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Milwaukee went on to lose the game, but at least Greinke will be able to make another start before the All-Star break. He’ll take the mound this afternoon against the Astros for the first-half finale, bumping scheduled starter Marco Estrada into the bullpen.
And guess who’s behind the plate calling balls and strikes today? Sam Holbrook.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)