Jul 9, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
Tony La Russa officially named Matt Cain his All-Star starter at this afternoon’s press conference and also unveiled the National League lineup, with Carlos Gonzalez as the designated hitter/leadoff man and the past two MVPs, Ryan Braun and Joey Votto, batting third and fourth:
Unlike the other eight starters Gonzalez wasn’t voted in by the fans, but because the NL ballot didn’t include a designated hitter choice the spot was left to La Russa’s preference. It’s not often you see a leadoff man with a .578 slugging percentage, but Gonzalez has hit leadoff in a regular season game 107 times in his career, including 33 times last season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)