Jul 9, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Tony La Russa officially named Matt Cain his All-Star starter at this afternoon’s press conference and also unveiled the National League lineup, with Carlos Gonzalez as the designated hitter/leadoff man and the past two MVPs, Ryan Braun and Joey Votto, batting third and fourth:
Unlike the other eight starters Gonzalez wasn’t voted in by the fans, but because the NL ballot didn’t include a designated hitter choice the spot was left to La Russa’s preference. It’s not often you see a leadoff man with a .578 slugging percentage, but Gonzalez has hit leadoff in a regular season game 107 times in his career, including 33 times last season.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45