Jul 9, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
As of this morning there were seven unsigned first-round picks with Friday’s deadline looming, but Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Cubs and No. 6 overall pick Albert Almora have agreed to terms.
Almora, a high school outfielder from Florida, hinted from the outset that he’d be difficult to get under contract and sure enough according to Callis he ended up getting $3.9 million compared to the slot value of $3.25 million.
For a complete list of the unsigned first-rounders, click here.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)