Derek Jeter says muscle spasms in shoulder “no big deal”

Jul 9, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Derek Jeter Getty Images

Not only did Derek Jeter uncharacteristically drop a routine pop up last night, he also experienced muscle spasms in his right shoulder during the Yankees victory over the Red Sox.

However, he remained in the game and afterward told reporters that the muscle spasms are “no big deal” and “happens all the time.”

Joe Girardi described the issue as “a cramp in his shoulder” and “just a little cramp, a little spasm,” so it appears as though no one is particularly worried about the 38-year-old shortstop. Oh, and he had three hits last night to finish the first half with a .308 batting average and .765 OPS, both of which are better than his 2010 and 2011 totals.

Jeter will start the All-Star game tomorrow night in Kansas City, making the American League team for the 13th time in 17 full seasons.

1. drewzducks - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM

…unlike our 150M singles hitting 1B who left the game with a severe case of the sniffles. I’m guessing AGon would have sided with Nomar when he had a great view from the bench of Jeter going ass over tea kettle into stands to catch that pop up back in 04. The entitlement attitude continues to reign supreme in Beantown.

• 18thstreet - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Since Jeter made that catch, the Red Sox have exactly the same number of World Series titles as do the Yankees.

• drewzducks - Jul 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Actually it’s 2-1 …04/07 vs. 09…but the larger point is that 1/2 the “stars” on Sox played with his intensity and determination they’d be more successful and certainly more likable of a lot.

• 18thstreet - Jul 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Two World Series titles sounds plenty successful to me.

I hate big pieces of the roster, but I don’t understand the hatred to Gonzalez at all. His willingness to play right field was notable.

• 18thstreet - Jul 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

One other thing: Beckett is one of my least favorite players right now. But when the team was winning, one could not question his intensity and determination. Meanwhile, the team won as many titles with JD Drew as with Trot Nixon playing right field, which says quite a bit about intensity and determination.

2. southofheaven81 - Jul 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Jeter’s been coughing, like, a lot lately? I think he’s sick. Which, still, 3 hits in 2 of his last 3 games.

• thomasgarvey - Jul 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. I’ve seen 4 or 5 Yankee games in the last week on TV and he’s been coughing constantly at all of them. I kept waiting for an announcer to say something but never heard anything. Last night they were scoping in on his movements concerning his shoulder and that they saw no actual incident in the field or on the bases that might cause it, but never said anything about his hacking.
      If it were me with all that hacking, I’d be lucky to swing the bat, but he went 3 for 5 last night.

• crali - Jul 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Thank you – I’ve been saying it for weeks now and not only have I been ignored which is no big deal I can’t understand WHY no reporters are asking him about it!
      It does seem to happen every year – at least the last few years but — why hasn’t it been even questioned? It’s like, “Oh, it’s the Captain – don’t ask what he doesn’t want to answer.”
      Annoying.

3. oldyankee7 - Jul 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Guys, Jeter has been coughing for many years, so why should the writers ask about it?
    Maybe they (media) should ask him when he will get a clutch hit, or a walk off hit let alone a walk off HR. It has been a few years sense he won a game for the team, with a hit when really needed.

4. romoscollarbone - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Jeter has been coughing forever. Ive chalked it up to a nervous tick of some sort.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic