Frank White is really, really done with the Kansas City Royals

Jul 9, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT

frank white royals

Over the winter we learned about the Kansas City Royals parting ways with Kansas City and franchise institution Frank White.  It seemed pretty ugly at the time, with the Royals allegedly not being happy with White being negative as a broadcaster and White being pretty darn unhappy with the organization for nebulous reasons.

But it wasn’t clear then just how definitive and, frankly, sad a breakup it has been. Bob Nightengale caught up with White over the weekend and tells that story.  White’s quote about Kauffman Stadium says it all: “I’ll never set foot in that place again,” White told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m done with the Royals. I just can’t do it.”  Also, if you don’t know much about White’s history with the team and the city, Bob’s article is a great place to start.

Dayton Moore tries to strike a conciliatory tone, but one gets the strong impression that the rift didn’t involve him. Rather, it was with higher management including owner David Glass and team President Dan Glass, neither of whom would comment for the story.

Just a really sad state of affairs. Here’s hoping that at some point the organization that calls Kansas City home can reconcile with the Royals player who has best and most fully represented Kansas City in the team’s history.

1. xpensivewinos - Jul 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM

…..and when the dust settled, the Royals ended up with Rex Hudler who is without a doubt, one of the worst “announcers” ever, in the history of anything. He’s so awful, I actually look forward to Royals games so I can listen on purpose just to be amazed by his incredible awfulness.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Not to mention this:

• notthesicko - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I was like that at first too. However after three months I literally can not stand it anymore. I listen to music or the radio broadcast when I’m watching the Royals. Hopefully he has a one year contract.

• randall351 - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Unfortunately he was on 610 AM a couple weeks ago and said that he has a 2 year contract.

• 78mu - Jul 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I’ll take Hudler if you take Mike Shannon.

• lburgscott66 - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

You want terrible? Tune in to 700 WLW Cincinnati for Jeff Brantley. The man doesn’t know basic grammar.

2. Paul White - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

While I never thought White was a great announcer, replacing him with Hudler was a comically bad decision. Not only did they alienate both the fan base and one of only two players who has his number retired by the franchise, but they picked a horribly bad replacement on top of it. Maybe the decision would have been justifiable if some kick-ass analyst was waiting in the wings, but they settled for Hudler, who is not only an worse announcer than White but also has zero ties to the team, city, region or fan base. I literally mute all Royals television broadcasts now because he’s unlistenable.

3. geoknows - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The Royals are far from guiltless in this mess, but the notion that White was fired for being too negative during broadcasts is simply untrue. He was fired for badmouthing the team to other teams behind the scenes. And the firing was handled by Dan Glass and nobody else. Dayton Moore knew nothing about it until after the fact.

Think things are bad now, Royals fans? Just wait until David Glass is gone and Dan Glass is 100% in charge.

4. mattyflex - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Mark Cuban, are you out there?

5. tuftsb - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Death, cocaine, two decades of poor baseball – now this.

Will an adult at the KCR organization please stand up and take charge or make amends? Without inclusion of the (distant) past and the rapid development from expansion team to yearly contender, the franchise has no foundation.

6. kcfanatic - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Frank is a class act. He still helps give instruction to kids at They Yard in Lee’s Summit, MO. He has remained a resident of the KC Metro Area his entire life. He currently works as a post game analyst for a competing radio station. I’m sorry, but it is a black eye on this organization to not have an 8 time gold glove winner, and Royals Hall Of Famer at the stadium for the All-Star Game.

7. kcfanatic - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Let’s be honest, the Royals have taken advantage of Frank for years. He should have been the last manager hired. He took the same guys that are up in the big leagues right now and won their championship when he was managing in Wichita. BTW, I listened to hundreds of his broadcasts. He was not negative. He was instructional. He would explain how coaching and players should be handling a situation. The problem was that our idiot manager was not handling them that way. Fans were calling the Royals after telecasts saying that they wanted Frank White as their manager, because what he was saying on the air made baseball sense. Unfortunately, Dan & David didn’t like being shown up. Cheap Bastards!

8. mybrunoblog - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Sad to see White out of the fold in KC. Get me some Freddie Patek quick!

9. dreadpirate82 - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’ve been a die hard Royals fan for all of my 33+ years, going to 20-30 games most years. After they fired Frank, I said I was done with the team. I tried watching Opening Day, but I couldn’t get through two innings of Rex Hudler. I have not attended a game, nor have I watched any Royals games, save for seeing them on at a restaurant or bar. This goes right to the top with the Glass family. As long as they own the team, my interest in baseball is a thing of the past. Just a sad state of affairs. I’ve been loyally sticking by this team for many, many years, but I can’t take it anymore.

10. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

What geoknows said is correct. A lot of poeple like to call David Glass dumb or cheap. But I find it hard for a person who ran the worlds largest retail operation to be very dumb, he might be cheap, and the Royals might be just his hobby, but I wouldn’t call him dumb.

However, Dan Glass has absolutly no business experience beyond his fathers enterprises. He’s the scary one. If you listen closely to KC sports media he’s been called Tommy Boy in some circle. Dan is the President of the Royals. Which makes sense considering the headscratching decisions the Royals make aren’t head scratching anymore unless you think a spoiled brat is making them…..then they make sense…not really, but you get what I’m saying. Like the Shank/White Decision.

So, as long as Dan Glass is the President of the Royals I just have to assume every decision, baseball & business, is WRONG!

• dexterismyhero - Jul 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Tommy Boy….awesome comment…Shnikeys

11. largebill - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM

13 comments in and no one made the obligatory comparison to Yogi Berra saying he would never return to Yankee Stadium after his firing something like 16 games into the season?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Yogi did come back but it took 14 years and an apology from Steinbrenner.

12. bnbray - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I have followed the Royals since their creation in 1969. The present ownership is a joke. The only thing funnier is the fools who line the Glass pockets through buying tickets. The late Mr. Kauffman financed and supported a winning ball team while he was running things. Glass finances and supports only one thing: The Glass bottom line! Period. Their “handling” of Mr. White is indicative of their arrogance and shame upon this once proud franchise. Mr. White should be the manager of this team. Period. Mr. White literally helped build Royal stadium and then went on to become one of the best defensive second baseman of all time. The Glasses haven’t done squat except sell off any decent player we manage to get. And they will do it with the “prospects” we have now. Their history does not lie. As money has ruined politics, so Glass and Co. have ruined this franchise and have dishonored one of the nicest men one can hope to meet in Mr. Frank White. The Glass goons are not worthy of tying Mr. White’s shoes. Nuff said.

13. Michael Prater - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Like many of you, I very much enjoyed 2B Frank White’s sparkling play on the field, and he is just as much of Royals lore as Brett, Howser, etc. A class act who let his play do his talking during his career, the break up of the team and Frank is a pathetic example of newer ownership trying to toss away respected members of past winning teams, and trying to set their own legacy, even if it’s a losing one.
    I wish Frank White the absolute best in whatever he ventures to do, and hope that the KC fans will shame the newer ownership enough that they beg him to “come home”.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5044)