Jul 9, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Over the winter we learned about the Kansas City Royals parting ways with Kansas City and franchise institution Frank White. It seemed pretty ugly at the time, with the Royals allegedly not being happy with White being negative as a broadcaster and White being pretty darn unhappy with the organization for nebulous reasons.
But it wasn’t clear then just how definitive and, frankly, sad a breakup it has been. Bob Nightengale caught up with White over the weekend and tells that story. White’s quote about Kauffman Stadium says it all: “I’ll never set foot in that place again,” White told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m done with the Royals. I just can’t do it.” Also, if you don’t know much about White’s history with the team and the city, Bob’s article is a great place to start.
Dayton Moore tries to strike a conciliatory tone, but one gets the strong impression that the rift didn’t involve him. Rather, it was with higher management including owner David Glass and team President Dan Glass, neither of whom would comment for the story.
Just a really sad state of affairs. Here’s hoping that at some point the organization that calls Kansas City home can reconcile with the Royals player who has best and most fully represented Kansas City in the team’s history.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)