Jul 9, 2012, 10:32 AM EST
Over the winter we learned about the Kansas City Royals parting ways with Kansas City and franchise institution Frank White. It seemed pretty ugly at the time, with the Royals allegedly not being happy with White being negative as a broadcaster and White being pretty darn unhappy with the organization for nebulous reasons.
But it wasn’t clear then just how definitive and, frankly, sad a breakup it has been. Bob Nightengale caught up with White over the weekend and tells that story. White’s quote about Kauffman Stadium says it all: “I’ll never set foot in that place again,” White told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m done with the Royals. I just can’t do it.” Also, if you don’t know much about White’s history with the team and the city, Bob’s article is a great place to start.
Dayton Moore tries to strike a conciliatory tone, but one gets the strong impression that the rift didn’t involve him. Rather, it was with higher management including owner David Glass and team President Dan Glass, neither of whom would comment for the story.
Just a really sad state of affairs. Here’s hoping that at some point the organization that calls Kansas City home can reconcile with the Royals player who has best and most fully represented Kansas City in the team’s history.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)