Jul 9, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Over the winter we learned about the Kansas City Royals parting ways with Kansas City and franchise institution Frank White. It seemed pretty ugly at the time, with the Royals allegedly not being happy with White being negative as a broadcaster and White being pretty darn unhappy with the organization for nebulous reasons.
But it wasn’t clear then just how definitive and, frankly, sad a breakup it has been. Bob Nightengale caught up with White over the weekend and tells that story. White’s quote about Kauffman Stadium says it all: “I’ll never set foot in that place again,” White told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m done with the Royals. I just can’t do it.” Also, if you don’t know much about White’s history with the team and the city, Bob’s article is a great place to start.
Dayton Moore tries to strike a conciliatory tone, but one gets the strong impression that the rift didn’t involve him. Rather, it was with higher management including owner David Glass and team President Dan Glass, neither of whom would comment for the story.
Just a really sad state of affairs. Here’s hoping that at some point the organization that calls Kansas City home can reconcile with the Royals player who has best and most fully represented Kansas City in the team’s history.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)