Jay Gibbons announced his retirement

Jul 9, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

jay-gibbons-dodgers Getty Images

After hitting just .204 in 34 games for the Brewers’ Triple-A team this season former big leaguer Jay Gibbons has announced his retirement at age 35.

Gibbons was a fixture in the middle of Baltimore’s lineup from 2001-2007, but the Orioles released him with more than $10 million remaining on his contract when he was named in the “Mitchell Report” and suspended for the beginning of 2008. Gibbons resurfaced with the Dodgers in 2010 and 2011, but saw limited action as a role player.

Gibbons had 25-homer power, but it came along with low batting averages and poor plate discipline. Overall he hit .260 with a .315 on-base percentage and .453 slugging percentage in 840 games, homering 127 times.

1. Tim's Neighbor - Jul 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Dude was a batting practice all-star.

2. DJ MC - Jul 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I remember when he was one of my favorite players. I always thought he could turn into a solid major-league hitter, but he just never quite learned the plate discipline. It did make for an interesting lineup in 2002 and 2003 when he would hit back-to-back with Tony Batista. They combined for 108 homers over those two seasons, and averaged out to about a .300 OBP (and only because Gibbons OBPed .330 in ’03).

I’m sad to see him go.

• pisano - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I agree, it seems like yesterday that he was on the brink of being a star, it goes so quickly, but I wish him well in his future.

3. dude1974 - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Jay Gibbons. Hit like Leeza.

4. davemmm - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Funny. I just watched him strike out in Memphis Saturday. That was a name out of the blue, and now he fades away.

5. castillo_ken - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

My ex Cal State L.A. Dorm neighbor, good guy, got hammered when he was drafted and had an epic party along with Mike Burns and the Cal State LA squad that brought home the CCAA Championship two years in a row. The Gib will always be a Golden Eagle icon.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug